How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-23-2004, 07:36 PM
yellowledbetter

quick speedometer question

if my speedometer has a tendency to die on me every once in a while, is that an electrical problem or is it controlled by a cable from the transmission (or both)?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:50 PM

there is a sensor built on top of a shaft w/gear at the right, front,top of the transaxle (comes out of the differential section). That sensor sends a signal (I think 4 pulese per revolution) to the electronics for display.

short answer, electrical problem.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:08 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
It could be a few things, did you ever remove the instrument cluster it could have a bad connection. The speedometer is electronically controlled are you getting a check engine light? If you are it could be a sensor there are 2 (see the how to on diagnosing the ecu codes) If it is speed sensor 1 that's not a big deal but if it is speed sensor 2 things can be ugly. speed sensor 2 is located right on top of the front differential a few inches up from the dipstick. This sensor has 3 wires it has a t-shaped tab that fits into a slot in the top of a small axle. This axle is spun by two gears one at the bottom of the axle that is spun by another on the large gear that drives the cv axle. These gears are made of a brittle nylon that can easily break, If the gears don't line up just right they will self destruct or a clip that holds them in place can pop off and the gear will fall off. Two things can cause the speedo to stop working if you are getting a code for speed sensor 2 either the gears are bad or the t-shaped tab is broken on the sensor. If the gears are bad you have to take out the transmission and replace the gears, no way around this one! or if the t-shaped tab is broken you can unscrew the sensor and see if it is broken. If it is not broken,turn the ignition on have somebody sit in the car and turn it by hand if the speedometer moves it's not the sensor it's proably the gears. Good Luck, I just had my tranny out and it was no picnic.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 08-24-2004, 03:35 AM
Phil & Belha

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=12278