How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-15-2004, 05:02 AM
The Molinator

KNOCK SENSOR install

I've read about taking out the alternator (and even the AC compressor) to gain access to knock sensors to install.

What about taking out the intake manifold (looks like it'd be easy?) to gain easier and better access?

Your thoughts guys ??? THANKS

P.S. Would I need new gaskets or use good old ones?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I wouldn't remove the intake. You would need new gaskets plus there's lots of stuff going on under there. (hoses)

Someone did a write-up on changing the sensors removing only the alternator.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

It was Rufus who did the write-up. I changed the front knock sensor on my car back in June at a mini-meet with newsvx, svxcess and Ron Mummert.

Once you remove the alternator, it's relatively easy to gain access to the front sensor. The back one is a bit of a pain...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Someone did a write-up on changing the sensors removing only the alternator.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-16-2004, 01:57 PM
The Molinator

KNOCK SENSORS install

SOOOOOoooooooo, how to do both ?..................

Does SVX always give check engine CODE if these or one is bad or failing???

Let me know please! THANKS!

2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 07-16-2004, 02:02 PM

Here's the thread from Rufus: Knock Sensor Replacement Made Easy

Good luck!

-Chike

Old 07-17-2004, 07:56 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I would recommend taking off the intake to replace the knock sensors and while you have it out replace all the vacuum hoses and thoroughly clean the intake and egr system with valvoline synthetic cleaner.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:49 PM
RSVXLsi

i actually just had this done with my SVX. i went to Subaru to have it done. they had to take the intake manifold out. actually they had to replace it. i guess there is a part that can only be installed once. the price for me came to 298.99 for the manifold labor and knock sensor.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:55 PM
The Molinator

INTAKE MANIFOLD off for KNOCK SENSORS

Do you know why they couldn't re-install your intake manifold ? Wondering why new one would be necessary? [Price seems too cheap to replace IM with Knock sensor(s)!]

THANKS for info!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:55 PM
RSVXLsi

i don't know the parts name but they said that its only a onetime part once removed can't be put in. i know sounds dumb sounds like subaru pulling your leg.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sounds like they broke something and left you with the bill.

Except the intake manifold is going to cost around $500.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:16 PM

Agreed. I had a dealer do that to me once when I was getting my camaro fixed. A $50 radiator flush ended up being a $500 job!!!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Sounds like they broke something and left you with the bill.

Except the intake manifold is going to cost around $500.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:54 PM
The Molinator

TAKING OFF INTAKE MANIFOLD to change sensors...

Do I need to replace Intake Manifold gaskets, if I take off IM to get at knock sensors?

Thanks

P.S. If so, then do I use any RTV or sealer?

Last edited by James Scott; 07-30-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:14 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I replaced them on one svx, and didn't on the other with no ill effects noticed yet. They were original and looked fine.

They are a metal ring sealing design - it would be a good idea to replace them if you have the time to wait for the part but I think you could get away with not replacing them if they are in good shape.

You do not need any rtv or other sealer.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Trying to take the ac compressor out is not possible without removing the hoses. At least on my SVX that is. It needs about another 8 mm for clearance to clear the intake manifold and it isn't there. A total waste of time for my attempt. Yes small hands do come in handy for that rear knock sensor.