SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2004, 12:31 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
SVX Woes: Expensive repairs

First, I was wondering about how much the dealership would charge me to fix all my engine oil leaks. My car has 119,000 miles and now leaks well over a quart per month. I beleive leaks are from both sides of engine and from behind the timing belt. I don't think any non-dealership mechanic could handle work of this caliber.

Also I just had a rear bearing go out. If it's just one bad one, should I just replace it or will the other one soon follow? How much will it cost to replace one/both. (I've searched the forums and it seems like a job I can't do myself.) Would other mechanics be able to do this job properly for cheaper?

My SVX may be on it's last legs, I can hold off on the leaks, but I can't afford this stuff much longer.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 06-21-2004, 12:43 PM

Any decent mechanic should be able to handle replacing engine seals and gaskets; a really good one ought not have a problem with the rear wheel bearings. I don't recall exactly what I paid for the latter at a local shop, but it was about half what a Subaru dealership had quoted. (No troubles after 10,000 miles.)

If one bearing is shot, odds are the other's not far behind.

dcb
Old 06-22-2004, 03:31 AM

So I mentioned my bearings to a mechanic at Goodyear and he said "your inner ones or outer ones?".

I was not aware there was more than one set of bearings per wheel. Which ones do you think need replacing?

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 06-22-2004, 05:31 AM
red95svx

There's only 1 bearing per side. And if not done correctly, they will fail shortly after installation (make sure they repack the bearings....they do not come "ready to install").

My two cents: live with the oil leak. Even a local garage will want several hundred dollars to fix those leaks, esp. since it's an engine they probably have no experience with. A quart per month isn't bad.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 06-22-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:20 AM

That's a releife about only one bearing per side, I thought I was going nutty.

Yeah, although the leaks are getting worse I'll just hold off. Who needs oil anyway.

I still need to know how much it would cost to replace rear bearings before I start asking around.

(In the mean time what will happen if I continue to drive my car around?)

--Mike

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 06-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Oil leaks...

Mike,

Try this for your oil leaks. At your next oil change add some seal treatment additive like 'Engine Restore.' Once you've allowed that to run through for a cycle, switch to Mobil 1 10W-30 which is made for higher mileage cars.

I just did a switch to Mobil 1 10W-30 on my car and it got rid of my leak altogether! My car was dripping about 2-3 drops a day at that point so I wasn't too concerned...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-22-2004, 10:55 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda3000

(In the mean time what will happen if I continue to drive my car around?)

--Mike

The bearings will get louder and louder. That's about it. In extreme cases they can completely fail and leave you stranded somewhere, but I've never seen or heard of it happening....and we've seen some VERY worn out bearings before. So relax, you have some time to spare

Dave
Old 06-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx

The bearings will get louder and louder. That's about it. In extreme cases they can completely fail and leave you stranded somewhere, but I've never seen or heard of it happening....and we've seen some VERY worn out bearings before. So relax, you have some time to spare

Dave

They will get louder and louder, then they will begin to devolop more and more heat, on an extended trip they can generate enough heat to weld the parts together, the PO of my car had this problem, the car was under waranty at the time so the repair was free to them, but the axle, bearing, and houzing were all replaced...
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Lwin also had a bearing fail on a long trip. The rear wheel almost came off. The only thing keeping it together was the brake caliper bracket and that was almost ground through

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
red95svx

Well, now I've heard about it happening

You guys must have driven with bad bearings for a while.....I've seen bearings that were in horrible shape but they still worked! And no one around here can recall any Subaru being towed in for a bearing problem.....so obviously YMMV!!

Dave
Old 06-22-2004, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Mike,

Try this for your oil leaks. At your next oil change add some seal treatment additive like 'Engine Restore.' Once you've allowed that to run through for a cycle, switch to Mobil 1 10W-30 which is made for higher mileage cars.

I just did a switch to Mobil 1 10W-30 on my car and it got rid of my leak altogether! My car was dripping about 2-3 drops a day at that point so I wasn't too concerned...

-Chike
I have tried some stop leak products that don't seem to help but if you honestly thing a simple thing like switching oil would fix it I'd be more than willing to try.

I can't really tell which side the bearing noise is coming from (I think it's Passenger) and I'll probably just get both sides replaced. I will ask around several places tomarrow, and in the mean time try not to drive too much. I hope nothing welds ! I was on a long road trip when they went out. I was traveling at sustained speeds above 80 mph before I noticed that the road noise was above average. I still had to drive about 60 mph for an hour after I noticed there was a problem though.

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

It worked for me: Mobil 1 fixed my leak!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda3000
I have tried some stop leak products that don't seem to help but if you honestly thing a simple thing like switching oil would fix it I'd be more than willing to try.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-23-2004, 02:42 PM

Okay, so I called some mechanics and they convinced me that on repairs as expensive as wheel bearings, I should only replace the bad one. The subaru mechanic said it's hard to tell if the other one will follow, sometimes they do, sometimes they stay fine for years.

That being said, this is what I was quoted:
-Dwain's Automotive, a trusted local mechanic who replaced my Water Pump, said about $250 per side.
-Galles & Davis Subaru in Albuquerque said about $400 per side. I have never had problems with their repairs, they just charge up the a**.

Does $250 sound good? It does to me.

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 06-23-2004, 02:56 PM

Does that include the cost of the bearing and seal kit? I believe the parts alone run $70-$80. per side

dcb
Old 06-23-2004, 03:34 PM

That price is about right: http://www.subarusvx.com/faq.html

I will give a printout of this to the mechanic too.

Michael - Duct Tape Man