Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Question How strong are the 4EAT's from '00+ Forester's?

Thinking about switching in a 4EAT from a '00+ MY Forester. Looking to get the 4.44 gears for the better acceleration and reduced strain on the tranny.

Is there any difference in strength between the 4EAT 's from Forester to the ones in our cars? I realize the tranny from the Forester XT would be stronger, but I'm not looking to shell out 2K+ on an auto at this time...

Thanks!

-Chike

P.S. I can get a used 4EAT from a Forester for around $300-400.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-31-2004, 07:14 PM
deruvian

My family had a 2000 Forester L w/ 4EAT. My dad has a 2.5 hour commute each day, 5 hours round trip, 5 days a week... So we racked up about 130k in two years. We then sold it because the wheel bearings kept breaking, Subaru sucked at fixing the bearing problem, and cylinder #3 suddenly lost 28% of it's spec'd compression.

Anyway, he drove the 4EAT at high speeds all the time (around 80mph), and I drove it like a bat outta hell on the back-country roads around here. I broke the car loose on almost every corner every chance I had (meaning the tires would squeal no matter what, AWD saved me from sliding most of the time, but not all the time ). The 4.44 final drive gave that little 2.5 boxer-4 some very nice pickup.

So, of all things, the 4EAT Forester tranny was the least of our worries.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:24 PM

That's awesome! Sounds like you were having WAY too much fun on some of those backroads...

I really want those 4.44 gears, and the '00+ models have the LSD rear differential. Maybe I'll buy a good used Forester trans and do an install sometime this Fall. My tranny is still working perfectly, so I could probably sell it for a couple hundred on Ebay (which would bring my overall costs down).

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian
So, of all things, the 4EAT Forester tranny was the least of our worries.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:19 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
hey man,

if you noticed both of the 4.44 posts have been started by me....I was told by someone that the tranny would not work with the svx's ecu. Something is different in there. I cant remember what though....

I have recently decided to go with 4.11 instead since at some point ill have to drive it on the highway.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:46 AM

Well, that's not cool - I was so looking forward to those 4.44 gears! I imagine those 4.11 gears are coming out of an Impreza RS? Do all Impreza MY's have a LSD rear diff?

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson
I have recently decided to go with 4.11 instead since at some point ill have to drive it on the highway.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
You would have to swap the ring and pinion in order to retain the housing and axles. Therefore it doesn't matter if the donor is LSD. You will just use the SVX LSD

If I recall correctly, you cannot just put the Impreza rear diff in. The axles that go with it are too short.

Can't you just switch the gears in the transmission too? I think someone has done that. That way you retain the extra clutch plates in the SVX tranny that give it its beefiness.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-01-2004, 08:25 AM

I was told in another thread that switching the gears into the tranny gets real expensive!

Hmmm... decisions, decisions! I would really like to see how fast the 4EAT can make my SVX go before the 5spd swap - but I don't want to spend 2K just to find out.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
Can't you just switch the gears in the transmission too? I think someone has done that. That way you retain the extra clutch plates in the SVX tranny that give it its beefiness.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:32 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
mechanically, it's the same exact tranny for the most part. different final drive and most likely a different TC. not sure about how the ECU treats it differently. but as far as strength, they are identical. MPT = MPT.

the exception is the legacy turbo 4EAT, which I heard was strengthened. also I know nothing of the forester XT tranny.

PS - Foresters have open rear diffs IIRC

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 AM

According to what other members have told me, Forester MY '00 and later, have a LSD rear differential...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
PS - Foresters have open rear diffs IIRC

Old 06-01-2004, 10:24 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
I was wrong once back in '82. It could happen again .

I hadn't been keeping tabs on foresters, but I guess it would make sense for them to have LSDs.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-01-2004, 10:39 AM

I wish I could say that! This was the thread where Porter talks about the LSD rear ends in the Forester's: Several 4.44's

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg
I was wrong once back in '82. It could happen again

Old 06-01-2004, 11:06 AM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
trying to remember to help you out...

I think something like VSD or similar was the term that was diffent on the transmissions that would cause tcu meltdown

As you can tell though i have no idea what im talking about so......take it with a grain of salt until someone speaks up
Old 06-23-2004, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
S Model Foresters

Only the 'S' model Forester has the LSD in question. The LSD isn't too strong, however, since one of our members tested it, and it broke loose around 100ft/lb. of torque.

I also believe that the 2001 is the best model year, short of the 2004 XT for the 4EAT transmission...

Hope this helps.

-Roo
www.subaruforester.com
site administrator

'94 SViXen owner
Old 06-23-2004, 12:36 PM

Re: S Model Foresters

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with a '96 Outback 4EAT instead as our TCU will be compatible and I wouldn't need to undertake a massive re-wiring job!

I'll be swapping in the 4.44 R&P gears from the donor rear diff into the LSD diff of the SVX.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Roo
[B]Only the 'S' model Forester has the LSD in question. The LSD isn't too strong, however, since one of our members tested it, and it broke loose around 100ft/lb. of torque.

I also believe that the 2001 is the best model year, short of the 2004 XT for the 4EAT transmission...

Hope this helps.

-Roo