How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Namaah

How possible is this???

I remember about several years back, I was reading car and driver and they were holding one of those custom contests where you submit your car/mods and then vote and bla bla bla...
that really doesnt matter. What does matter is if my memory servers me correctly I remember seeing a MITSUBISHI 3000GT with a Porsche engine in it.

Now my question for all you tech heads out there is, how would a person go about taking a porsche which is a rear engine, and mount it in a front mounted config. Because if its possible just think about dropping a 911 GT2 powerplant into the svx and getting 477Hp out of an svx.

I know im delusional but I can always dream. Thanks for your time, who ever reads this.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:02 PM
UniqueAngle

As long as you have the money, they can do it.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Agreed. They can turn the engine around, take the drivetrain out of an AWD 911 Turbo, put in a custom driveshaft, and the rest will fall into place (you'd also need a custom standalone ECU). You're probably looking at upwards of 100K for the install and conversion...

I think I read somewhere that a 911 Turbo engine costs around 30-40K from Porsche!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by UniqueAngle
As long as you have the money, they can do it.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 05-21-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:06 PM

BTW, on one of the Z sites I used to frequent years ago, I remember seeing a guy who owned an original 70's 240Z and dropped a 350hp LS1 Corvette engine into it!

You can do almost any engine swap imaginable so long as you know a good mechanic, have a ton of patience and a big wallet!

-Chike

Old 05-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Agreed. They can turn the engine around, take the drivetrain out of an AWD 911 Turbo, put in a custom driveshaft, and the rest will fall into place

-Chike
and you'd have 5 or 6 speeds in reverse and 1 forward
Old 05-27-2004, 11:50 AM
SunstateSVX

Eh, I'd go the way of an LS6 crate engine from Chevy. They're only $5030 plus shipping for a brand new engine. (With the Corvette Z06 driveline, it's worth 405HP.) Who knows if the thing would fit, and how much custom fabrication you'd have to do, but since we're dreaming, I thought I'd offer the "low cost" dream alternative. :-)
Old 05-27-2004, 12:47 PM

I know you were joking, but I did say they would need to turn the engine around!

Honestly, if I had the money, my dream engine to drop wouldn't be the turbo version, but the plain ol' 3.4L 320hp flat 6 used on the Carrera C4S. If you found one that was totalled, it'd be awesome to have the driveshaft lengthened, turn the engine around, and swap everything over from the AWD system to the 6spd MT!

I just love the sound of an NA engine over forced induction anyday. That was one reason for getting rid of my Ligthning...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
and you'd have 5 or 6 speeds in reverse and 1 forward