Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-21-2003, 11:44 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Just met

Just met a lovely couple from out of town, presumably here for the holidays, that stopped in to the computer shop where I work. The fellow commented on my SVX, and of course we got into a nice little discussion about it and SVX in general.

He seemed to know a lot about them, and said he was looking to acquire one himself. He asked if I was having any trouble with it, and of course, I mentioned the fact that the 4EAT was on it's way out. He immediately suggested the 5 speed swap and said how easy it is to do. He also mentioned that if I do the swap, I might lose my rear LSD; is that true?

Anyway, I wonder if he posts here... said he was from Calgary.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
When you swap in a 5-speed from another model, you have to also use the donor car's rear diff. The vast majority of Subaru cars do not have LSDs in the rear. But, not to worry, you can swap the LSD internals from your original diff into one with the right gear ratio. I know at least a few people here have done it. Doug did. Go pester him.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Thanks for the tip... I'll definitely have to make sure I do that (retain the LSD) if/when I swap to manual. It gets damn slippy here in winter.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:49 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

As far as the loosing your rear LSD.... Use a WRX tranny if/when ya do the swap... 3.90 final drive lets me do about 75-76mph at 3,000rpm instead of 65mph like with the RS tranny... Also the WRX tranny uses a center 1.1:1 step up so you don't have to change out the rear Diff... You just use your stock SVX diff that keeps the LSD and you throw the tranny in, that's it... Well in a nutshell.... If ya don't believe me, I don't know what to tell ya other than it's worked great for me for the past 6 months....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-22-2003, 10:54 AM

Hey, that's great! WRX tranny is likely stronger anyway, right? And from one who knows; how's the shift quality feel? I don't want to do this if it shifts like a Rustang (most gawd-awful shifter EVER).
Old 12-22-2003, 11:08 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

My shifter is a little tougher than the normal 5 speed WRX tranny... Because I have leingthened(*I can's spell for crap so bare with me) linkage as well as the STi short Shifter... You'll have to get yout shift linkage *extended* too becayse the tranny sits a few inches farther away in the SVX than in the WRX... But over all it is a decient feel... Go to the dealership and play with a WRX and then imagine it like that in an SVX... I've never driven a Mustang before but I have driven an 18 wheeler and a 5 ton(military truck)... It shifts better than that It's faster too

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-22-2003, 03:04 PM

I swaped the LSD unit from the SVX rear diff to the legacys, its not hard at all, really bolt on bolt off. The only hard part was getting the bolts to losen to let the LSD off the ring gear. It took a couple of nuckels with it.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:15 AM

What's the 'ultimate' LSD rear end? I've heard people drooling over that R180 LSD.

What are the pros and cons of the WRX set up, or the legacy type with R160 swapped in?

Sorry if these are annoying questions that have been answered a million and one times, but time is running out for me (tranny keeps getting worse) and I need to begin assembling parts, or at least a plan, very very soon.

Thanks, you guys rock.