SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 08:42 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
anyone want 5 speed STi parts?

I'm going to Japan in a few weeks, and I'm picking up an STi RA v.5/6 gear set (5 speed), and an STi 20 kg/100 rpm limited slip center differential. I plan to carry the parts back with me. If anyone with or soon to have a 5-speed is interested, I probably have room for a few extra of the limited slip center differentials. Those items are not that heavy. I don't know the price on the center diffs yet, but I expect the price to be cheaper than the prices I've seen in the USA. Prices in the USA are around $850. I'm hoping to get it for around $600. If you didn't already know, the WRX 5-speed uses a 4 kg/100 rpm limited slip center diff. Its not much better than an open diff. The STi unit has a 5x stronger action, and more effectively de-directs power to the axle that is not slipping. Its a good way to further reduce understeer without resorting to a larger rear swaybar. I'm sure it would help in crappy road conditions too.

I'm working on finding out the price by Friday. Anyhow, let me know if you are interested.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
"My, Mr. Mychailo, that is one ugly baby in the seat next to you"
Seriously - are you going to have time to nudge around for any JDM SVX parts? Wonder if you could find a tuner shop over there that carries stiffer bushings for the steering rack, bigger sway bars? They would be even lighter
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-19-2003, 10:14 PM
sans SVX

I'm totally excited about going on a parts hunt! :-) Actually, I already know the shop I will be visiting:

http://www.umsrally.com/

These guys will even ship parts overseas if you are willing to pay the shipping. I figure I can get the Japan price and throw that parts in a suitcase for the flight home. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:56 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Hey man, if ya could or have the ability to, My friend just blew out 1st gear in his WRX... He wants to find a STi tranny to replace the old tranny... I am looking but I figured the more people looking the better his chances are of finding one... If ya know of any for sale please let me know man... Thanks!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 11-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Hey man, if ya could or have the ability to, My friend just blew out 1st gear in his WRX... He wants to find a STi tranny to replace the old tranny... I am looking but I figured the more people looking the better his chances are of finding one... If ya know of any for sale please let me know man... Thanks!!!
The '04 Forester XT transmission is identical to the later model STi sedan 5 speeds. (non-RA) Hardened 1st and 2nd gear, etc. 4.444 final drive.

Should be one or two in junkyards by now...
Old 11-20-2003, 07:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Let us know what you find out exactly, like prices and any other goodies. So the diff is just like the WRX one as far as compatability goes? Will just swap in with WRX 5-speed with 3.90 gears? I'm actually pretty interested as I am getting closer to putting the swap wheels in motion.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 11-21-2003, 06:31 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Are you talking about a WRX 5MT into the SVX??? That's what is done to my car... All you have to do is yank the Auto out and throw the 5mt in, extend the driveshaft about 2 inches and that's pretty much it...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 11-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8
Let us know what you find out exactly, like prices and any other goodies. So the diff is just like the WRX one as far as compatability goes? Will just swap in with WRX 5-speed with 3.90 gears? I'm actually pretty interested as I am getting closer to putting the swap wheels in motion.
The WRX is not a true 3.90... it is 3.90 in the front, 1.1:1 at the center diff, and 3.545 at the rear diff just like the SVX.

Thus, the trans bolts right up but you actually end up with an even longer gear ratio than the SVX so you lose some mechanical advantage.

A 4.11 setup or (oh joy) a 4.444 setup would be best.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:14 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8
UMS Rally has been very slow to respond. My last email I sent to them on prices was on Monday, and I still have not received a response. Yes, the STi center diff will drop right in on late model '02+ WRX trannys. Its just the LSD portion of the diff that gets switched. Its a modular assembly.

Visit my locker

Old 11-21-2003, 05:00 PM

It would be nice to be able to get a STI center diff if i had money, but rember the car will act more like a 4wd veical with a locked center diff. Ive heard of people complain that while parking when turning the sterring wheel lock to lock, the wheels will skip around, because there tring to gao the same speed.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:23 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1
It would be nice to be able to get a STI center diff if i had money, but rember the car will act more like a 4wd veical with a locked center diff. Ive heard of people complain that while parking when turning the sterring wheel lock to lock, the wheels will skip around, because there tring to gao the same speed.
Rallispec says that even the 20 kg/100 rpm STi center diff doesn't couple the front and rear that strongly, so my guess would be that such binding occurs mostly with mechanically coupled center diffs rather than the STi fluid-coupled center diff.

Visit my locker

Old 11-22-2003, 04:45 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1
You're referring to full lock mode on DCCD. It's not recommended for use on pavement due to binding in the drivetrain, but it's not dangerous to the car. It has a built-in stress relief that you hear "popping" as it releases tension. Pretty cool setup really.

What many people don't realize is that the E-brake on the STi also releases the center differential, so if you've got it on full lock, you can dive into a corner at a crazy speed, pull up the ebrake one notch (just enough for the brake light to come on), make your corner, and as you hit the apex drop the ebrake and mash the gas. All four wheels hook up and it's rocketship time.

STi = fun.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:53 PM
sans SVX

got price on STi 5 speed LSD

Uchiyama Motor Sport will sell me the late model STi 5-speed 20 kg/100 rpm center diffs for 78,500 yen + tax (about 8% in Japan) which amounts to about $780 total. That's about $100 less than what you could get it for in the states. These will fit in MY99+ 5 speed gearboxes. If anyone wants one let me know.

I haven't been able to get a price yet on the STi RA v.5/6 gear set yet. I probably won't know until I get there.

Visit my locker

Old 11-28-2003, 08:32 PM

The person who said that binding happens With a viscos coupling center 20 kg, was from MRT. There is also a 12kg, and 10 kg STI center diff that they said is alot more streetable.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Porter

If you really want a solid quick source for STi drivetrain pieces talk to either Adam at Z1 Performance or the folks at Rallispec in NJ. Both should be able to set you up expediently.

http://www.z1auto.com

http://www.rallispec.com