SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the state of the forums as they are today?
I'm extremely disappointed in the forums and would like for them to return to their former level of decorum. 39 75.00%
I'm willing to accept the forums, as they are today, in the names of progress and diversity. 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
And obviously, you have absolutely no idea what the word "rude" means.

As you can see by the vote, no matter your bravado or chicanery, I am in the majority here. Like it or not.

If I may once again let my childish nature take over, I was here first and I'm not stepping down for nobody. Take that to the bank.
K, see this is what I'm talking about. You have issues with me, and even though I've tried to get along with you as much as I can, you continue to throw little digs in. You claim that you're peaceful, and not fueling the fire. Look at what you just wrote. It isn't very mature, despite your age.

- Rob
Old 11-07-2003, 02:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
If I misunderstood the context of you posted Noir I apologize.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:19 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg

Sorry I was just asking a question. I didnt know what would be involved. I thught it would be possible without cost and maybe only some minor time in put. I dont know if I just took the post wrong or what, but I feel you might want to check your attitude. I never said anything about Purple hippos. This is a community and communities are ever changing. I thought that this post was about trying to improve the quality of this site and I thought I might have a valid suggestion and I exspressed it. Obvously I was wrong about either it being valid, the subject of this post, or the fact that you care about what other people think. Sorry I wont make that mistake again.
sorry mike, i didn't mean to stir up anything. i used 'purple hippos' as some topic totally off the wall and taken to the extremes (like fighting over where a purple hippo may want to mate. ). there is no doubt in my mind that the community will change and people's views will change, but i think that some checks should be in order so that even though the community will change, the overall atomosphere will not.

my last post was not intended to attack anyone or start any war. i'm not trying display any sort of attitude problem. i just wanted to state that i'm sure that upgrades to the site to support some other features is possible, but may incur upgrade costs in time and money. i understand moderators and chris (who make this site possible) have put forth alot of time, effort, and money. i just hope that people realize this before they just come on the board and ruin their intent and purpose of the forum.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

K, see this is what I'm talking about. You have issues with me, and even though I've tried to get along with you as much as I can, you continue to throw little digs in. You claim that you're peaceful, and not fueling the fire. Look at what you just wrote. It isn't very mature, despite your age.

- Rob
rob, i'm not sure you understand what's being written. randy is not trying to have an 'issue' with you. he is stating that majority of the people who have read this post has made a vote that a change in the current policy is needed to return to the original atmosphere of the forum. not limit people's opinion's or view's but limit the pissing contest. there is something you don't understand here. the people who founded this site are the ones that have a say in what they want. keep it up or abandon it. they are the ones that invited you into their house. it is 'rude' for someone who was invited to tell the host to go down into their room and stay there if you want to be in the 'old school svx forum'. this is an old school svx forum built by the founders, when you join it's the 'old school svx forum'. if you want to rally some members and want to spawn a 'new school svx forum' go for it. put forth the effort and make it happen. then you can set your own rules and allow whatever you want.

i can see how randy would be a little upset when someone is telling him that and that there is no way to return to their 'ideal state'.

it's like being in a courtroom. there is a code of conduct that people must obey. what happens when you violate that conduct? you get thrown out.

Last edited by Noir; 11-07-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
OK, I admit it, I need adult supervision. I also need all of my old (and new) friends to stay here.

I can honestly say that no-one here has angered or annoyed me, but a few have saddened me. Maybe I have a thick skin, or maybe a thick head, but there is nothing that someone a few thousand miles away can say that would really get my goat.

If you say something that I disagree with, I just go to the next thread. If the trolls did not get food, I am sure they would soon starve.

Peace and Love

(Wine and Beer)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 11-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
not limit people's opinion's or view's but limit the pissing contest.
Then why did he make statements like "I obviously don't know what rude is, my 'chicanery', etc." To me, that seems to be a pissing contest in itself. I've never attacked Randy, or made digs against him, because I think he's a good guy.

- Rob
Old 11-07-2003, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

sorry mike, i didn't mean to stir up anything. i used 'purple hippos' as some topic totally off the wall and taken to the extremes (like fighting over where a purple hippo may want to mate. ). there is no doubt in my mind that the community will change and people's views will change, but i think that some checks should be in order so that even though the community will change, the overall atomosphere will not.

my last post was not intended to attack anyone or start any war. i'm not trying display any sort of attitude problem. i just wanted to state that i'm sure that upgrades to the site to support some other features is possible, but may incur upgrade costs in time and money. i understand moderators and chris (who make this site possible) have put forth alot of time, effort, and money. i just hope that people realize this before they just come on the board and ruin their intent and purpose of the forum.

OK, no problem, Im sorry for themisunderstanding. I do agree that Things are a little out of hand. Iveonly been on a couple of months, so I dont know what it was like before. However Im not new to this type of sight. Although there are sites much worse than anything on here, there issome room for improvement. I dont know that there is much that can be done by the "godly", wonderful people who administer the site. If the site is going to improve the best way to do it is by improving the attitude of the people. (sometimes that includes myself) We are adults here. If we were to use the same common sense that we'd use at work when intracting with others things would be better. This isa public forum. It should be treatedassomething your proud of. Everone here is proud of their SVX and lovingly maintain them. They should equally be proud of this site and do their part to maintain it. The thing I do see that could help is the time limit on posts. The post I made earlier was done in haist after reading something. Later I realizd that it probubly was not meant the I took it. Thats why I came back and said that I apologize if I misunderstood. The time delay would allow people to think first. of course, The people have to be willing to realize they may have misunderstood. I have a feeling some pople(noone in poticular) will just sit and let it fume. That would make the response that much worse. Ooops got long winded.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:

Then why did he make statements like "I obviously don't know what rude is, my 'chicanery', etc."........... - Rob
This from Webster:

One entry found for chicanery.

Main Entry: chi·ca·nery
Pronunciation: -'kAn-rE, -'kA-n&-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ner·ies
Date: 1609
1 : deception by artful subterfuge or sophistry : TRICKERY
2 : a piece of sharp practice (as at law) : TRICK
Old 11-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Porter

My argument with Trevor and its escalation was something that was confined to the thread in which it occurred. It disappoints me in the extreme that that conflict was paraded about the site by all involved once Trevor decided to make a glaringly public issue out of it.

I apologize sincerely to everyone who was forced to view that discussion and its unfortunate consequences. It was not my intention to foster an environment of tension or of ill-will. I tend to respond in extreme ways when my honor and my honesty are publicly questioned.

If anyone on this site has a problem with me, personally or otherwise, please PM or email me. Do not be content to merely talk about me behind my back or think nasty thoughts in my direction, or even obliquely refer to me as a symptom of some abstract "degeneration" of this community... go ahead and actually click the little PM button.

I have been involved in the Subaru online community far longer than this board has been in existence, in fact longer than most of you have owned your SVXes. I have seen and struggled with the growth of the Impreza community in a very intimate way, and simply came to accept the growing pains as a fact of life. I often forget that most of you have never participated in that community, nor have you ever interacted with me in its context. After going through the same growth issues when we grew from 50 to 500 members (as Imprezer's Lair and then Impreza-RS.com), and then to 10,000 (as i-Club) and now to 45,000 (as NASIOC)... the core enthusiasts are still a part of the group and the family has simply grown larger.

I cast my vote for option A, because I believe this board does need more active moderator intervention as it grows. That intervention MUST be balanced by a sense of perspective and fairness. I hope that is a role that someone will take up and execute as I have executed it on other forums in the past.

-Jason Porter

Last edited by Porter; 11-07-2003 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:22 PM

Registered SVX
Those I leave behind could consider the following suggested RULES. Take or leave my suggestions. EVERY word has been carefully considered. I am not be here to debate the issue : -

Two words are encouraged i.e. Please and thank you.

Direct or insinuated derogatory statements against any person are forbidden and will be deleted together with any associated text.

Language which is directly obscene will be deleted together with associated text. Properly humorous earthy conversational dialogue excepted.

Negative statements may be forthright but must not contain or indicate personal animosity and those that do will be deleted.

Members are directed to carefully read posts as well as all of the associated thread so as to reach a complete understanding of all aspects portrayed. Nothing should be read between the lines and only an objective view taken when posting in reply.

Those posting technical advice or information should qualify same as experienced, hearsay, opinion or suggestion unless the source can be quoted and is expert or from a text book or manual. The reader is then able to make informed judgement regarding the validity of advice presented. It must be appreciated that incorrect unqualified advice can be a disservice and even dangerous.

A disclaimer regarding advice could also be included if not already incorporated elsewhere.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 11-09-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Those I leave behind could consider the following suggested rules. Take or leave my suggestions. Every word has been carefully considered. I will not be here to debate the issue : -

Two words are encouraged i.e. Please and thank you.

Direct or insinuated derogatory statements against any person are forbidden and will be deleted together with any associated text.

Language which is directly obscene will be deleted together with associated text. Properly humorous earthy conversational dialogue excepted.

Negative statements may be forthright but must not contain or indicate personal animosity.

Members are directed to carefully read posts and reach a complete understanding of the exact meaning and intent portrayed. Nothing should be read between the lines and only an objective view taken. Anything in doubt should be first queried before negative comment is posted.

Those posting technical information must qualify same as hearsay, opinion or suggestion unless the source is absolutely reliable or can be quoted e.g. text book or manual. It must be appreciated that incorrect unqualified advice can be a disservice and even dangerous.
I absolutely agree with this, with one comment: Subaru service manuals are often wrong, and no particular individual (on the Internet) can ever be regarded as "qualified" to dispense technical knowledge, regardless of the apparent intelligence or perceived reputation of the poster. No source is too good to be challenged, as I have a binder at work that is literally FIVE inches thick entitled "Service Manual Corrections."

Otherwise, spot on.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:47 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I agree with Trevor and Porter. In the regard that sometimes there is no way to prove who is correct, i.e a contest of opinions, I think its reasonable to let the debate continue as long as there are no personal attacks in the debate. Personal attacks should not be tolerated by the moderators. On NASIOC, people who dish personal attacks in their posts are quickly punished.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

How are they punished?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
How are they punished?

The offenders leave(booted) rather than the offended?
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .

Last edited by Uncamitzi; 11-07-2003 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

- Rob
I don't have issues with you. I have issues with your sad attitude. I know you CAN be civil, I've even seen glimmers of (slight though they may be) kindness -- I just can't, for the life of me figure out why it doesn't stick? "Oh, shut up and go play with some barbies, newbie," is not my idea of "unrude" and definitely not my idea of a great way to greet new people and maintain their presence. I mean, I can even take your whacks at Christians being mislead idiotic dopes, better than the way you talk down to others and express opinion as if it were expertise.

If what I've said is immature, I can, at least, take pride in being able to speak succinctly without an idiot, moron, <shrug> or <bleh> in my response.

As for "throwing little digs in," heck, I was just respoding to your "fact filled" post with cries of "impossible" "Send the old school to another forum" "you can't go back" etc. "stuff."

I even admitted to allowing my "childish nature" to take over, so your "You're not too mature despite your age" dig is moot.

Oh, and I believe that the figures above (so far) would, in the political world, be called a "mandate."

Oh, and just so's y'all will know: this is only the second online "community" i've ever been involved with. The first was the Yahoo SVX Club which was just as cool 'til the Message 40 bug and the Ads. I'd never heard of flame wars or trolls or any of that crap. And furthermore, it's the ONLY online community I frequent. I have no need nor inclination to go hopping 'round on message boards. So, that may make me a little naive when it comes to what "other" boards are like, but if that's what they're like, I don't want any part of them.

Trevor, your list pretty much describes how this site (and the Yahoo site) operated, up to a few months ago.

I'm just gonna sit back now and see how the "Vote" turns out. I have a sneaking suspicion that I already know.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 11-07-2003 at 07:47 PM.
Closed Thread