Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the state of the forums as they are today?
I'm extremely disappointed in the forums and would like for them to return to their former level of decorum. 39 75.00%
I'm willing to accept the forums, as they are today, in the names of progress and diversity. 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

LOL
Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Randy,
I voted for the first option...I also go along with the "adult supervision" comment made earlier - some of the recent thread seem to be spiraling out of control when they could have been locked or deleted before they got out of hand.
I think the personal attacks bug me the most - I'm not sure how they serve the advancement of the overall SVX family.
Thanks for posting this thread.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Just for the record: I didn't start this poll to place blame, point fingers or start another "sh!tstorm" (we certainly have enough of those already).

My purpose here is to give the Administrator and moderators an idea of what the majority of ACTIVE members on these forums wants. In other words, if most of "us" just want to accept what the forums have become, then, so be it. If the majority of "us" want things to return to the decorum we had enjoyed for the previous 2 years, then, I want the Admin and Mods to take note and to take measures to see that it happens.

See, it's not THAT complicated.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
If the majority of "us" want things to return to the decorum we had enjoyed for the previous 2 years, then, I want the Admin and Mods to take note and to take measures to see that it happens.

See, it's not THAT complicated.
I think that's pretty much impossible Randy. Seriously, you're asking for the forums to basically be 'unchanged' after 2 years of growth (goood or bad). I think instead of saying "We want it like it was" you should instead address current problems and strive to make this place better. We have new people here now, with new ideas, and new personalities. Asking it to 'return to how it was' 2 years ago, would exclude a lot of people, which is almost rude in my book. I think that moderators/admins DO need to control topics a bit more, and throw some water around when the fires start. In my eyes, this forum is basically 'unmoderated' right now....

Anyway, basically what I'm saying is that you can't go back to how it was, but you can improve the current situation. A year from now you'll probably have met new friends and learned new things, and asking for it to stay the same would prevent all of that.

One suggestion would be an 'old school' SVX forum, where any 'old school' SVX.net member could hang out and talk about family issues, and be a real community. Not that you couldn't do that in the other forums, but it's an idea. >shrug<

- Rob
Old 11-07-2003, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Sorry

Sorry, this isnt stricky stick to the subject at hand, but its on a parallel tangent. Is it possible to set up private forums inside the site. The idea would be that a person sets up a subject and the person that startsthe topic authorizes other users to read and post in it. When it is established and the users selected a message could be automaticlly sent to the person saying ""So, and SO" have invited you to "Such and such" descussion". It allows for conversation of a slightly more private nature. Is this possible or is my creativity exceeded the abilities of the system?
Old 11-07-2003, 01:20 PM

i think the point is Mike, that it shouldn't have to come down to something like that

if you are interested in the info...read the info....

if you are interested in the ppl, talk to the ppl

if you are interested in both, welcome to the network

if you are interested in neither...get out

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Re: Sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
When it is established and the users selected a message could be automaticlly sent to the person saying ""So, and SO" have invited you to "Such and such" descussion". It allows for conversation of a slightly more private nature. Is this possible or is my creativity exceeded the abilities of the system?
I think that's a bad idea. EX: I used to hate NikFu, because of his constant BS posts. He was annoying the crap out of me. With that 'private' system you just mentioned, I would have always excluded him from any of my posts, and I wouldn't have read anything he's written recently. THUS, my idea of him could not change, and things could not improve. Since I have continued to read his posts, my viewpoint on him has changed, as I see his improvement, and change in attitude. Now he does not annoy me, and I have a much improved opinion of him. I think Uncamitski might have an improved opinion of me if he'd quit baiting me and take me off his ignore list.

- Rob
Old 11-07-2003, 01:36 PM

I understand where your coming from. I'm not say make all posts like that. Have it default as a public forum, but give people the option of a private mode so you can have the option of a kind of off line chat with one or two people about something without everyone reading it. If you wanted to exclude one person you would have to select every other member except them. Private forums would also block the non-members. If someone has annoyed you and you dont want to hear from them you would have to use the ignor list. This idea would be fore a private descussion between just 3 or 4 people. Say if a couple members lived near by each other and wanted to goto a movie or something together or they have a common interest that they want to descuss with out outside opinion. Can you understand what Im trying to say?
Old 11-07-2003, 01:37 PM

i don't understand what you are saying mike, to me, what you are trying to say could be solved just by using the pm system...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

i voted for the first.

when i first joined the board (which was not that long ago) it was relatively pleasant. people with svx problems and some personal problems could get some support. a place where people could get helpful advice, money saving solutions to their svx problems, and a quick laugh to brighten up their day. i don't know what happened and growth MAY have led to the change in the attitudes of members posts. i hate to burden the admins/moderators with the task of policing the topic and content (since we are all adults and we know what's offensive and what's not), but that maybe the only solution to keep subaru-svx.net from becoming like cardomain.com. i've met some fine members of the network at some meets and i'm sure that most of the people who are on this board are pretty decent people behind the flaming and trolling. we all adults here and don't need to prove anything to anyone right?

LONG LIVE THE SVX AND THE SVX'ERS!!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i don't understand what you are saying mike, to me, what you are trying to say could be solved just by using the pm system...

Kelli
The only real difference between the PM and what I proposing would be the amount of pople involved. The PM is more 1 on 1, what Im proposing would let you have a conversation with 3 or 4 people at the same time. And they in turn would see what you and the other people are saying. It's kind of like a private chat room, only you dont all have to be on line at the same time.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

I think that's pretty much impossible Randy. Seriously, you're asking for the forums to basically be 'unchanged' after 2 years of growth (goood or bad). I think instead of saying "We want it like it was" you should instead address current problems and strive to make this place better. We have new people here now, with new ideas, and new personalities. Asking it to 'return to how it was' 2 years ago, would exclude a lot of people, which is almost rude in my book. I think that moderators/admins DO need to control topics a bit more, and throw some water around when the fires start. In my eyes, this forum is basically 'unmoderated' right now....

Anyway, basically what I'm saying is that you can't go back to how it was, but you can improve the current situation. A year from now you'll probably have met new friends and learned new things, and asking for it to stay the same would prevent all of that.

One suggestion would be an 'old school' SVX forum, where any 'old school' SVX.net member could hang out and talk about family issues, and be a real community. Not that you couldn't do that in the other forums, but it's an idea. >shrug<

- Rob

Under the current circumstances, I don't see why anyone would want to stay? I will not be promoting this forum to anyone until it becomes more civil. Like Mike, I am totally embarassed to have someone walk in unawares. I hate to think of the number of people who have come in, seen the current state of things, and turned around and left, never to return. Believe me, If I were still moderator I WOULD address the current situation and it would not be to YOUR liking. And obviously, you have absolutely no idea what the word "rude" means.

Right now, we're letting a relative minority set the tone for the majority. It has to stop.

I'm all for growth. I'm all for opinions. But, mostly, I'm for not crapping up this place that I and so many others worked to create.

And no freaking way I'm relegating the OLD school to a different forum. If ANYTHING, I'll ship the NEW SCHOOL to another forum.

As you can see by the vote, no matter your bravado or chicanery, I am in the majority here. Like it or not.

If I may once again let my childish nature take over, I was here first and I'm not stepping down for nobody. Take that to the bank.

Impossible, you say? We'll see. I'm willing to give it a shot and with what I see as the majority of the same mind set, it may be more possible than you think. I'm resolved to succeed or get banned for trying.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

Kelli
i agree with kelli. there are many other ways to achieve this:

pm
emails
joining other forums
or start your own forums for svx private topics (you'll realize then how taxing it can be)

i think this is a svx forum and stuff like 'mating habits of the purple hippo' should be stuck elsewhere. the more we try to pump into this forum, the more expense (time and money) chris and the moderators need to pump to meet that demand. now everyone wants to add these new features/options and are willing to to fund the upgrades then go for it.

like randy said, it's not impossible...it definitely can be done and should be done. we are here to help each other and enjoy the company of fellow owners, not to fight and insult each other.

Last edited by Noir; 11-07-2003 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I stopped refering people here as well

I referred a VW owner who was looking at an SVX to the site. He came, saw the place, and left disappointed. I won't do that again.

Additional moderation is necessary without question. I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting anumber of people here at the two meets I've attended, as well as a very fine Irish gentleman and his wonderful family that I'd have never met without this place. These days, I'm loathe to post a reply to a seemingly simpe request unless I know or respect the poster. With those I know here less and less, and those I respect in the minority these days, I'm not as active as I used to be.

Todd
Old 11-07-2003, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

i agree with kelli. there are many other ways to achieve this:

pm
emails
joining other forums
or start your own forums for svx private topics

i think this is a svx forum and stuff like 'mating habits of the purple hippo' should be stuck elsewhere. the more we try to pump into this forum, the more expense (time and money) chris and the moderators need to pump to meet that demand. now everyone wants to add these new features/options and are willing to to fund the upgrades then go for it.
Sorry I was just asking a question. I didnt know what would be involved. I thught it would be possible without cost and maybe only some minor time in put. I dont know if I just took the post wrong or what, but I feel you might want to check your attitude. I never said anything about Purple hippos. This is a community and communities are ever changing. I thought that this post was about trying to improve the quality of this site and I thought I might have a valid suggestion and I exspressed it. Obvously I was wrong about either it being valid, the subject of this post, or the fact that you care about what other people think. Sorry I wont make that mistake again.
Closed Thread