Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2001, 01:27 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

I have an idea

Aredub, perhaps you can help here. I know that Chris is off vacationing this weekend.

Ya know what I hate about any internet site? People that insist that all the threads have to stay "ON topic". I enjoy seeing puns flung about, and hearing about other folks personal lives. Apparently it isn't the case with some of these (better not) people. So how's about we set up an area where these folks can go, post a message...and wait for an eternity for someone to have a completely "ON topic" message? That way they're satisfied, albeit not part of the group when we're trying to have some fun, they'll never have to hear about my big dumb yella cat, your zebra striped panties, or Larry's elongated forehead.

We could call it *Totally *ON* Topic*, of course I'd never venture there, but what the hey...who'd care, I might not have an "ON topic" post.

Of all the *TOOPID* freaking things to gripe about in a club setting. I've never been to a meet with you guys, tell me...do you just sit around and talk about your SVX and when someone says something that isn't *ON topic" you slap him or something?

Some people just have way too much time on their hands to pi$$ and moan about things, (much like me).
Old 08-31-2001, 01:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Heh...

What *would* we call such a forum? I agree - I probably wouldn't venture there often. And if I did, I'd put something off-topic in my sig just to be irritating.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-31-2001, 01:44 PM
I look like Gordon

<sarcasm>I don't know, maybe we could call it babble or something...</sarcasm>

Old 08-31-2001, 02:18 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
If they don't want to be part of the fun direct them onto the oohay site
Old 08-31-2001, 03:05 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
First of all, I can't create new forums. I haven't been granted that ability. That would be a sith thing.

Second of all, if it comes to that, I don't want to be a part of it, nor, do I want to know about it. But, to tell you the truth, I don't think it's possible to have a completely on topic discussion. Besides, that's what e-groups is for. We've gone to great lengths to create a site where people have their separate spaces for mods, babble, geographic locations, technical questions, talk to a "real tech" -- damn, we've segmented this thing enough. If people wanna piss and moan about "on topic" let 'em go back to Yahoo! Let 'em start their own forum, let 'em . . . well, let 'em do something else. You can please some of the people some of the time . . .

At SVX meets, we kind of "filter" car talk into our B.S. sessions. I've made some great acquaintances both at meets and here. You can't do that kinda stuff by staying "on topic." Steve Wasion, Nick Owens, Bill Moore and I are not getting together at Autofest to be "On Topic" --- Don Addington, Larry Singer, Olu Davis, John Hoffman, Jerry Jenkins, Ron Mummert, Harry Newman . . . and whomever else (these are all I can remember at the moment) are not coming together at "Snowshoe II" to be "On Topic." The point I'm making here is, we have NAMES! We have LIVES! We like to SHARE them . . . here, there and everywhere (is this a copyright infringement on the Beatles?). For Cripes sake, there's only so many times you can talk about your tranny or your cloudy headlights and your paint chips and your door dings and your condensation in your tail lights and your . . . before you get to, "and what do you do for a living?" Or, on a return visit, you can ask, "how's your son . . . your daughter . . . why didn't your wife come with you this time . . . tell Amber we missed her . . . tell Gene if she doesn't make a meet soon, I'm going to doubt her existence . . . hi Roni, how did the fund drive go . . .

I mean, since this is a post about "off topic" I guess I'm on topic by talking about disliking pissers and moaners of off topic --- grrr.

I believe that's enough said. And the short answer is NO, I will not create such a forum -- not even if I could. And, if your "idea" is in response to a particular post, please point me in the direction of it -- I'll delete it -- I actually CAN do that.

>Aredub steps off of soap box, slowly bends down and picks it up. Turning sharply away from the crowd, he walks slowly to the window . . . and throws the soap box through it -- then, exits right.<
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-31-2001, 03:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
<cocacola08's jaw drops in astonishment>

wahoo!!! applaud, cheer cheer
Old 08-31-2001, 03:35 PM
Lowered SVX

what is this topic about??

well.....just asking......
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-31-2001, 03:50 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

>Aredub steps off of soap box, slowly bends down and picks it up. Turning sharply away from the crowd, he walks slowly to the window . . . and throws the soap box through it -- then, exits right.<
I like that part. Brilliant.

Tin horns. I like tin horns. Tin horns are funny.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 08-31-2001, 07:42 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Eddy and Aredub..

Eddy...<they'll never have to hear about my big dumb yella cat, your zebra striped panties, or Larry's elongated forehead>

I laughed so hard, I woke Jean up in the next room My ribs are hurting...

Aredub.....<Aredub steps off of soap box, slowly bends down and picks it up. Turning sharply away from the crowd, he walks slowly to the window . . . and throws the soap box through it -- then, exits right.>

Amen brother...testify!

Golly gee I love this place.... Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 08-31-2001 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:09 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Eddy and Aredub..

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Eddy...<they'll never have to hear about my big dumb yella cat, your zebra striped panties, or Larry's elongated forehead>

I laughed so hard, I woke Jean up in the next room My ribs are hurting...

Glad I could help! It just frustrates the heck out of me when someone takes it upon themselves to be the topic poleece. Fer crying out loud, if all you want is facts, then go somewhere else, this here is a little family. And most of us have never met. So the little tales about my big dumb yella cat, and Larry's bah adventures, not to mention Aredubjay's tater slingin' follies are part of what draws us together.

And what can fire up a controversy? Well, look at the post I made about the advice one member made about poking holes in a perfectly good part on your car. There's something about crappy advice that sets me off like I wuz a killer bee. I'm still fuming over that crap, and believe me, I'd muchly like to use stronger language here.

Old 08-31-2001, 09:50 PM

Re: Re: Eddy and Aredub..

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

And what can fire up a controversy? Well, look at the post I made about the advice one member made about poking holes in a perfectly good part on your car. There's something about crappy advice that sets me off like I wuz a killer bee. I'm still fuming over that crap, and believe me, I'd muchly like to use stronger language here.

see response to that post
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...3737#post13737
Old 08-31-2001, 09:53 PM

Quote:

There's something about crappy advice......
advice wether it is good or bad. is just a suggestion.. Let whoever recieves the "advice" judge for themselves, whether to use it or not
Old 08-31-2001, 09:59 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm still fuming over that crap, and believe me, I'd muchly like to use stronger language here.
Eddy, I know how you feel and believe me when I say that I appreciate your restraint. Thank you for being considerate.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-01-2001, 03:37 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Re: Eddy and Aredub..

Quote:
Originally posted by cocacola08

advice wether it is good or bad. is just a suggestion.. Let whoever recieves the "advice" judge for themselves, whether to use it or not
Well Kev, you do have a good grasp of the obvious. However, advice given may sound like gospel to some. Not everyone has the common sense to seperate the bad from the good.

Some people *think* they can fix cars, and mechanics tend to make a pretty good living off of those folks. That's why it infuriates me so badly when I see bad advice...I've spent a good deal of my time working on cars fixing things that weren't busted before someone decided they knew more about the car than the engineers.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:45 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Eddy and Aredub..

Quote:

Well Kev, you do have a good grasp of the obvious. However, advice given may sound like gospel to some. Not everyone has the common sense to seperate the bad from the good.

Some people *think* they can fix cars, and mechanics tend to make a pretty good living off of those folks. That's why it infuriates me so badly when I see bad advice...I've spent a good deal of my time working on cars fixing things that weren't busted before someone decided they knew more about the car than the engineers.
A few months ago I saw a teevee show on contractors who make a KILLING off folks who attempt home improvement and botched the job. Guys who dug bakhoes into holes and whatnot.

Anyway, I can relate to both sides of this one. I've often thought that I was smart enough to figure something out and repair it. Sometimes I am. Sometimes, as is the case with my '85 GL, it takes me weeks to remedy the stoopid stuff I do along the way. Luckily my mistakes can be solved with a 50-cent roll pin this time, but what about the next time I take something apart and can't figure out how it goes back together? My inexperience with repairing a car has got me *paranoid* that I'm going to knock the slightest adjustment loose and my car will not run as well as it did before I fiddled with it. Luckily enough for me, the symptoms were bad enough that no interference on my part was probably worse.

There are some real con artists out there working in repair shops. Being a little informed can help you avoid them, but it can't replace the ones who know what they're doing.

Seeing a parts diagram can help you see how something goes together, but it doesn't replace the experience gained from doing it over and over again. That experience may be necessary to avoid damage to the car or personal injury.

Don't get me started on modifying the car. Mine runs great as is and I have no aspirations of turning it into a top-fuel drag car, so I don't know that I can even understand the attempt to make the SVX into something it's not. That gets filed under 'stupid' in my cabinet, but that's just me. (Don't go and get all whiney about me calling the modification of the SVX 'stupid.' It's my opinion, so deal with it.) Hey, look - I got 'started' without anyone's help.

Learn how the car works, sure. That'll help you tell the guy with the overalls what to look for.

Do I follow my own advice? Of course not - I'm as dumb as the rest of you. I think I can figure it out, too. In which case I bug the crap out of Eddy because he *does* know what he's doing. Anyway, go ahead and take the car apart, but understand (as I do) the risks involved. Understand that you may not be able to repair things correctly and you may very well be risking yourself and anyone elese who gets in the car or happens to be on the road with you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE