Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-05-2003, 09:19 PM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro
Unplug your mass airflow sensor and drive the car for a while. You will get about 5 MPG, but see if your car keeps dying.
Not to be annoying, but could you tell me where to find the sensor? If the car keeps dying, does that mean it's the alternator? What does unplugging it do? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:22 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX

Not to be annoying, but could you tell me where to find the sensor? If the car keeps dying, does that mean it's the alternator? What does unplugging it do? Thanks.
lol you're not being annoying.

You know the big black tubing that runs out of the air box under the hood of the passenger side of the car? You know the square module located next to the air box? Thats the MAF. Just unplug it.

And how does your oil look?
Old 11-05-2003, 09:39 PM
StaceyVX

Quote:

lol you're not being annoying.

You know the big black tubing that runs out of the air box under the hood of the passenger side of the car? You know the square module located next to the air box? Thats the MAF. Just unplug it.

And how does your oil look?
I think so...Is the square module black? My car isn't here so I can't go look. What would it mean if I unplugged it and it died?

Also, I need an oil change.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:51 PM
nextcubepro

Yes it's black. Just tell us what happens when you try it. There's a lot of variables.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:34 PM
StaceyVX

Quote:
Yes it's black. Just tell us what happens when you try it. There's a lot of variables.
Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:59 AM
6evil9

ok the best thing for u is just say all symptoms again, full details.
it definitly will make troubleshooting easier.

unplugging MAF wont give u 5mpg, i drove car for long time with the thing unplugged and it was exactly as it would be without it. (dont forget u have TPS and O2 sensor to control the fuel system)

also not to say anything bad to anyone, but Stacey dont listen every advise u get here. sometime ppl say things wrong...

happened with me so so many times

anyways provide with full details and u ll have ur svx going soon.

lols so many ppl here tend to change things and not knowing what exactly is wrong and spending so much money on that... poor "92blacksvx"......
Old 11-06-2003, 07:03 AM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9
ok the best thing for u is just say all symptoms again, full details.
it definitly will make troubleshooting easier.

unplugging MAF wont give u 5mpg, i drove car for long time with the thing unplugged and it was exactly as it would be without it. (dont forget u have TPS and O2 sensor to control the fuel system)

also not to say anything bad to anyone, but Stacey dont listen every advise u get here. sometime ppl say things wrong...

happened with me so so many times

anyways provide with full details and u ll have ur svx going soon.

lols so many ppl here tend to change things and not knowing what exactly is wrong and spending so much money on that... poor "92blacksvx"......
with my friends unplugged, it went through a full tank in 127 miles she said. well, now that i do the math that's 6.5, but still.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:36 PM
StaceyVX

At this point, do you think I'm silly for taking it to Subaru? It's been a month and a half that I haven't driven it and apparently, there can be so many reasons that it's doing this.

Stuff like this must be why some people get frustrated and sell their SVXes, but this only makes me love mine and want to drive it more.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:06 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
just outa curiosity why u all so sure about alternator?
ASk me how many SVXes I have owned. Experience. Out of my 3 SVXes, 2 of them had bad alternators. Same exect symptons.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-09-2003, 06:49 PM
6evil9

Quote:
ASk me how many SVXes I have owned. Experience. Out of my 3 SVXes, 2 of them had bad alternators. Same exect symptons.
lols seems like my svx is speacial then, i drove without alternator at all, without MAF, with check engine light on O2 sensor ... have not tried without petrol tho... lols

anyways if battery is good but alternator is bad car will go with NO problems.... as alternator only charges battery but everything is ran from battery, only difference will be that voltage is gonna be 12.5V instead of 13.8V with alternator

anyways still not sure with symptoms as stacey cant tell them all in 1 post...

but have fun anyway

as im having with mine
Old 11-10-2003, 10:08 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:

have not tried without petrol tho... lols

I tried the no gas thing once in one of my SVXes. It was in the old days when I was dumb. I know I can push it a little more was my thought that morning. It was not fun pushing a 3500LB car alone.

As for the alternator, my old 95 camaro had the same issue. When alternator died or is about to die, you see the xmas lights at the dials and if you tap your power, you will see that your output is a lot lower than 12.5V. Normally SVX will pump out about 13.8V (after alternato mod). If it is pumping out about 11.9V you know you have problem. That's how I normally know. In the last SVX, when it hits about 12.1V, I drop the car back to "N" and slam on the gas. That would kick the regulator back on and voltage will jump back up to 12.5+ V and you know you are safe. If it does not, call for someone to jump you and pull over quick because you know you are about to loose your power options (power steering, lights etc).

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:28 PM
nextcubepro

Hmm this is...interesting. Just for fun (lol) I bought one of those battery level testers from the auto parts store for the cigg lighter...interesting results:

Car not started, but ON: 11.8
Car idling at 525 RPM (if that) with headlights, econ 85 degrees medium fan, radio on:11.5
Same, but with me revving up to 1,250 RPM: 12.8
RPMS higher than 1,250: 12.8...same.

Never any problems. Battery replaced when I bought car a few months ago. Never feels like the power in the car is weak. But those numbers seem low. Who has done this with their SVXs and what numbers have you got?
Old 11-13-2003, 07:01 PM
StaceyVX

Lightbulb

Well if anyone's curious, I took it to Subaru and it turns out it was........................................*hold breath for anticipation*

The air flow meter.

Subaru wants $511 plus tax and are charging $37 plus tax just for having looked at it. My boyfriend found some junkyard that can order it and have it by tomorrow for $125. Now just to find someone to install it, which shouldn't be too hard because he works at Pep Boys.

Thanks everyone for your help. Just stinks that I wasted $185. Now I know what technician not to trust.
Electric diagnostic test - $30
Brand new regulator - $70
Brand new Energizer battery - $85
Old 11-13-2003, 07:24 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyVX
Well if anyone's curious, I took it to Subaru and it turns out it was........................................*hold breath for anticipation*

The air flow meter.

Subaru wants $511 plus tax and are charging $37 plus tax just for having looked at it. My boyfriend found some junkyard that can order it and have it by tomorrow for $125. Now just to find someone to install it, which shouldn't be too hard because he works at Pep Boys.

Thanks everyone for your help. Just stinks that I wasted $185. Now I know what technician not to trust.
Electric diagnostic test - $30
Brand new regulator - $70
Brand new Energizer battery - $85
Hate to say it, but its one of the first things I mentioned...
sucks being right alot
$125 isnt a bad price on a used one....plus the installs easy
and you can do it yourself.
Glad you got it covered.....dg

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 11-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Hope this fixes everything.

Look at the bright side...your alternator and battery should be good for a while now!