Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Tired

Backfire

Hi Gang,

Somedays when it's been cool and rainy my car makes a slight backfire sound when I crank it. I also notice the starter spins at a funny rate instead of the normal spinning sound. It doesn't do this all the time but just every once in a while. Does this sound like a loose boot over one of the coils?

P.S. Put a new radiator in this week. The top of the old one broke off when I tried to remove the top hose! I may hook up the tranny cooler lines in parallel since I have the new design tranny cooler with the new radiotor.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:11 PM

Registered SVX
Paul, exactly what do you mean by, Ò starter spins at a funny rate instead of the normal spinning sound Ò.

Is the engine sort of partly starting and and running ahead of the starter but not catching properly ? A backfire usually indicates an ignition timing problem.

Did you have the problem before changing the radiator ? If not it is likely that you have inadvertently disturbed something. Possibly a sensor lead or vacuum hose.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-22-2003, 07:33 AM
Tired

Engine trying to catch

Yeah, thats what the starter sounds like. It sounds like the engine is trying to catch. It's kind of a rythmic sound. The backfire sound is like a small "pop". Doesn't happen all the time and only does it on cool misty rainy days. It's been doing this for a while since before I put the radiator in.

New radiator works and looks good. I can tell the car is running slightly cooler.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 09-22-2003, 06:42 PM

Registered SVX
Paul the only way I can assist from a VERY great distance is to concentrate on what small clues you have given.

Number one is the fact that the problem occurs when conditions are damp. This could indicate a high tension ( spark ) circuit leak to earth. The big problem is that it is intermittent and will have to be located when it occurs.

If it happens when it is dark, have a look and listen for a spark jumping somewhere and particularly around the spark plug/coil area.

I could list a further dozen possibilities. The worse it gets the easier it will be to diagnose. Not much help I am afraid.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:10 AM
Tired

Thanks

Thanks. Late Fall early Winter is when I notice it happening more often.

First day of Fall up here... You guys are just heading into the warm season down there huh?

Take care,

Paul