How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-18-2003, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
new ? about shift kit

I got the stage 1 shift kit and installed it a couple months ago. I didnt have to make adjustments as the settings were good straight out of the package. It was the hieght for the hot summer. I've noticed lately the tranny seems to shift hard all the time. Is the relay sticking, or have the vacume properties of the car changed due to weather. When I installed the kit the temps rarly dropped below 85 degrees. Now we're lucky if we see 75. Does the kit need adjusting everytime the seasons change? Man I hope not than would suck. ANYONE!!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:16 PM

Registered SVX
The change in temperature should not effect anything vital. Have you checked that the hoses and electrical connections are OK ?

How could anyone remote from the car possibly tell you if the relay, ( Presume you mean pressure switch ) is sticking !? This component is not likely to give trouble so soon unless improperly installed.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-19-2003, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
yup, I already thought about the connections. They're all still good. Thats why I figured it was either the switch or a change in the vacume pressure. Hmmmmm Maybe I'll pull it apart and make sure there isn't anything clogging the hose. I've had that happen to a crberator when I replaced a rubber fuel line. I could have gotten a piece of rubber inside when I was cutting the rubber hose.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:24 PM
JLittell

Maybe everyone is finding that the kits are functioning differently in various climates??.. I have not heard a lot of 'good' about these stage kits since Brian put them out. I wonder....
Old 09-19-2003, 06:00 PM

Registered SVX
Bridge across the pressure switch with some wire so that the dropping resistor is in circuit as normal and note the result. You will then be able to judge if it is the switch, a vacuum problem, or nothing to do with the shift kit.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Do you have a tranny temp gauge? The tranny seems to shift different on mine depending on it's temperature.
You could also try adjusting the setting on the shift kit. It just takes 1 allen wrench - not hard at all to do.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.