Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-16-2003, 06:47 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Unhappy HELP! Catalytic Converter falling apart

Help Me! My car makes a grinding sound when I accellerate and the shop tells me my catalytic converter is falling apart! I have spent tons on repairs lately and can't afford any more. Can I fix this problem myself? How? How much would a new or used one caost and could I install it myself? Please comment.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 09-16-2003, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeradsvx
does it sound like metal grinding cause that might be your resonator. and that you would need to take out. but that should be a lot cheaper.

hope that helps
Old 09-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

If it's just a piece of metal coming off the CAT or Resonator you may be able to fix it with some wire. Stainless steel wire is best.

What you say does not make a lot of sense to me. The exhaust system runs on the bottom of the car. Above the exhaust pipe, and rear CAT and resonator is a HEAT SHIELD. Above the heat shield is the drive shaft. In all likelyhood it is the heat shield that's hitting the drive shaft. The heat shield is very flexable and can be bent. The drive shaft bearing may also be coming loose. This could be similar to the problem I had. Check out this thread.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:01 PM

Thanks. I'll check the heat sheild. The place that rebuilt my trannie were the ones that said the cat was falling apart. Upon further examination, the sound might be coming from farther back than the cat. Also, it only makes the noise at 1500 rpm and 3-4000.

I had the exact experience svx_commuter described in his forum; turned out to be trannie fluid leaking into front diff. Old trannie had to be rebuilt.

Once again thanks and I'll check fro rubbing heat sheilds. I will write back if i can't find anything.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Location of Origination Discovered

OK, I put my car up on ramps and found out wherre the sound is coming from. It's Between the Catalytic converter and the Muffler in something that looks like a Cat but smaller. On this attatched Chilton's picture it's part number 33.

Anyone know what this is or what it's for? Do you think I could just cut it out and put in a piece of pipe instead?

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 09-21-2003, 12:22 AM

Location of Origination Discovered

OK, I put my car up on ramps and found out wherre the sound is coming from. Not any driveshaft, it makes the sound in neutral but not as loud.

It's in a thing Between the Catalytic converter and the Muffler in something that looks like a Cat but smaller. On this attatched Chilton's picture it's part number 33.

Anyone know what this is or what it's for? Do you think I could just cut it out and put in a piece of pipe instead?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subaru good.jpg (78.0 KB, 219 views)

Michael - Duct Tape Man

Old 09-21-2003, 01:01 PM

yeah, from what it looks like it the resenator, i cut mine out and put a straight pipe instead. doesnt change the sound that much at all, maybe a tiny bit louder, but hardly noticable.
hope it helps
jerad
Old 09-23-2003, 07:35 PM

Isn't the resomator up front?

This is either a secondary cat or muffler. It's getting louder though.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:33 PM

part 33:
that is the resenator, it sits between the muffler and the last cat.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to RMaltzen
I also had this exact same problem. However you have already had the proper advice laid before you. Have a nice muffler shop cut out the resonator and just throw in a straight pipe. I've seen it posted a few times before, so it seems to be a popular fix. And it works very well.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ding N' Prayer
exhaust

I recently had my exhaust expert put in a straight 4" diam. muffler in place of the original resonator. Car is whisper quiet(unless you get on it). This repair cost me $60. BTW I have a brand new cat. with the hardware. I paid $350 for it , if any body wants it make me a reasonable offer and I'll ship asap (Afetr payment of course)

'92 Teal LS-L Sold to North Carolinaians!
1972+'73 BMW 2002 tii('72) someday I'll finish restoring them,...someday (for sale)