How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-16-2003, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeradsvx
something weird

I was just on my way home from the gym. I started my car and took off for home. I was down the road maybe 1000 ft and the check engine light came on, it was only on for at the most two seconds then went off, if i wasnt looking at my gas gauge i wouldnt have seen it it was so quick, does anybody have any ideas, and do I have something to worry about, by that should i have it looked at it tomorrow or could i wait till pay day, kinda broke till thursday.
thanks so much in advanced
jerad

any ideas are welcome,

p.s. also i need new rotors, new springs in the back.
need your opinion on what rotors to get and what springs to get.
thanks so much

also got my new plates, SVX H6
Old 09-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Green1995SVX

I wouldnt worry about it. Take it to your local subaru dealer and have them hook the select monitor to it. They can tell you what the problem is and clear the codes. If they're nice they should do it for you for free.

Mike
Old 09-16-2003, 08:34 PM
gcookaustin

On very cold days mine does this as a result of the oxygen sensors. If you have a '92-94 (or is it 92-95?) you can check and clear the codes yourself. Search around for "diagnostic codes"
Old 09-17-2003, 06:41 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I had the same situation as gcookaustin and you can check the code yourself in a 92 like he said upthere
Old 09-17-2003, 08:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to jeradsvx
thanks for your help, i am gonna have to search for the way to pull the codes and the number of the codes. thanks for your guys help
Jerad
Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 AM
JLittell

As mentioned before it is quite common on cold days for the C/E light to come on. Mine does this in the winters.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
As mentioned before it is quite common on cold days for the C/E light to come on. Mine does this in the winters.
Have you replaced the O2's ? How many miles on them or do you how many CFM of exhaust gas has past them?
Old 09-17-2003, 12:59 PM
JLittell

I never replaced my O2's. I looked at them recently and they look brand new. They might have been replaced before but I'm not too certain.?? My SVX has 97K. My C/E light illuminates for 30 seconds and goes away on freezing cold temps. We'll see if the little sucker comes on this winter!
Old 09-17-2003, 01:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Jerad, my SVX did exactly the same thing this spring and early summer. Evenrually, the light stayed on for longer and longer periods and after some time it actually became hard to start.

On my car it turned out to be the water temp sensor. The part was, I think, $25. It's awfully easy to replace and a common failure on both the SVX and Legacy. I actually had to replace the sensors on both my SVX and my wife's Legacy exactly one month apart.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Jerad, my SVX did exactly the same thing this spring and early summer. Evenrually, the light stayed on for longer and longer periods and after some time it actually became hard to start.
I was one of the first to experience this failure on my SVX. I wouldn't rule our O2 sensors either. It depends on how the CEL illuminates in the future. Maybe once every 3 tanks of gas now my CEL comes on for maybe 10-15 seconds during warm up. I try to ignore it until I notice anything weird starting to happen.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:24 AM
red95svx

short C/E light

I've learned that a stuck EGR valve is also common in colder temps. It usually only sticks for a few seconds...enough to trigger the light....and then it unsticks and the light goes away. Happens to my car every winter. Until it sticks constantly I'm not going to replace it.

Dave