How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 PM
svxinindy

Resonator rattle

My SVX appears to be afflicted with resonator rattle. I have no real desire to replace the exhaust from the cat back. Has anyone replaced only the resonator, and if so with what?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Resonator rattle

Quote:
Originally posted by svxinindy
My SVX appears to be afflicted with resonator rattle. I have no real desire to replace the exhaust from the cat back. Has anyone replaced only the resonator, and if so with what?
Before you blame the resonator, check the heat shields for tightness or, for gravel.

If you do replace the resonator, many have replaced it with straight pipe (about a 25.00 job from your local muffler shop). Harry Newman replaced his with a "cherry bomb" type muffler. It doesn't make it loud, so don't worry 'bout that. If you read Harvey's explanation of how the SVX exhaust sysem works, with the resonator, you'll see that the latter idea is probably better than the former.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-09-2003, 02:20 PM
JLittell

I have this identical mystery. I thought my heat shields were loose when I would start my car up every morning (as I only noticed it at a cold startup). I finally went to a Midas and they tell me that the shields are tight. The guy did try to pry apart the 2 front heat shields where they come together at the bottom. I guess we'll see tomorrow! Can gravel get between the shields and the exhaust to cause this noise?
Old 09-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
I have this identical mystery. I thought my heat shields were loose when I would start my car up every morning (as I only noticed it at a cold startup). I finally went to a Midas and they tell me that the shields are tight. The guy did try to pry apart the 2 front heat shields where they come together at the bottom. I guess we'll see tomorrow! Can gravel get between the shields and the exhaust to cause this noise?

Personal experience says YES! I had an exhaust leak (and the dreaded buzz) and took my car to a muffler shop to have it welded. They cut off the shields at the Y-Pipe and gravel came tumbling out. And I don't go off-roading in my SVX. It must've just gotten kicked up on someone's driveway.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-10-2003, 10:37 AM

And if all else fails it could be a cracked flexplate (transmission). Sounds very much like a exhaust buzz at certain rpm.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:07 AM
JLittell

Why would the transmission flex plate be the culprit? I do get the buzzing sound at higher rpms. I notice it most when I start the beast in the mornings. I bent down and looked as it was buzzing/ rattling noise seems to be coming from the right side of the car under the drivers seat area. Is that one of the cats?
Old 09-10-2003, 11:13 AM
JLittell

BTW, Does anyone have an actual shot (pic) from underneath the SVX?? As I noticed that there are many diagrams and drawings in here which are 'somewhat' helpful.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 PM

It's probably not the flex plate, but I had a buzz rattle on my 92 and after prying and bending the heat shields it made no difference. Brought it to the dealer and he diagnosed the cracked flex plate, but it sounds very similar to a heat shield rattle. Of course while doing the job the center pipe broke, so I had to drive an hour down the road to pick up a new Stebro System, oh well..
Old 09-10-2003, 10:21 PM

Do a search on "flex plate" for more info. Seems it's more common than I thought, or probably getting so as we rack up the miles and drive a little harder.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:08 AM
svxinindy

The noise seems to be coming from slighlty behind me when driving, and nearly directly below when sitting in the back seat. It is definitely rev related and is most loud when the rpm is between 2000 to 3000. The heat shields appear tight. I plan on taking the car to a muffler shop this weekend.