How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-07-2003, 01:37 AM
OrthopodSvx

upper engine mount

This afternoon I left the hospital early to attempt the band adjustment on my transmission. After the neighborhood girls started riding by on their bikes pointing and laughing about the man lying on his engine, I decided that there must be an easier way. To aid in visualization of the adjusting bolt I disconnected the vacuum lines and air cleaner plumbing from the twin throttle boddies. Not only did this allow adequate access to the band adjuster, it also shed some light onto the strange clunking that I’ve been mistakenly attributing to my slipping transmission. The dog bone shaped mount that connects between the firewall and the engine/transmission housing had sheared into two separate pieces. I assume that this happed when the transmission was replaced before I bought this car. I really don’t know. Has this ever broken on any of you? Is it an URGENT matter to attend to or can I put it off until next week? How much does this little plastic wonder cost? Thanks for your input!
Old 09-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Superbeast

That thing is the pitch stopper, and it's there so I assume it must be important. I'm not sure what it does other than assist the motor and tranny mounts. When you accelerate the motor wants to rise up and this pitch stopper helps hold it down into position, or it keeps the motor and tranny from sliding forward and back on it's mounts? What ever it does I would drive it nicely till you get it fixed, and as far as I know it's not a commoly failing item especially to be broken in half! Check out Subaru parts. com for a price and when you see it I'm sure you'll want to try and find a cheaper one from someone here.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:39 PM
OrthopodSvx

Thanks Subafreak. You are right, ouch, that stupid thing is around 50 bucks to replace. I guess I will post a "wanted" ad in the appropriate section.