How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-04-2003, 09:22 PM

Registered SVX
Bad Typo

Thanks a million Collins, that was a bad, bad typo.

Someone here may have used the incorrect figure. Proves exactly why it is good practice to lead a decimal point with a zero. Also that you know your SVX stuff !

Regards, Trevor.

PS have edited the naughty figure by and a naught and zero !

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-04-2003 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:35 PM
ww111

Well, I adjusted the band AGAIN this AM and finally made it to "TOO TIGHT" As soon as the car cools I'm going to reverse this misdeed. If you're wondering what the major symptoms are...

1 (and the biggest) Reverse feels like you left the parking brake on hard...

2 Eveything shifts "Later"

3 I did not notice the missing 3rd gear the manual talks about... it's still there as far as I can tell.

I guess I've got about 4 hours while the car cools now. It's back in the shop Monday but I'm really at a loss (still)

Collins
Old 09-06-2003, 02:57 PM
OrthopodSvx

I am really curious about your question concerning overfilling of the ATF fluid. I have driven my car for about four months with no 3rd flair, then shortly after changing my fluid and filter (chrysler +3) it started to happen. My fluid level is slightly overfilled. I wonder if this is a direct repercuission of the fluid, be it the level or type. I feel your pain.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:27 PM
ww111

If at first you don't succeed RTFM!

I finally decided to open the book and see how this Shift Servo thing works..

Long story short, it's there to smooth the shifting by clamping and releasing the Reverse Gear Shift Drum. (It's the only part that is Off in 1st, On in 2nd, Off in 3rd and On in 4th.) So to adjust the shifting, tighten it for a harder 2nd and 4th shift. That Softens 3rd!!!

If I'm reading the book right. Releasing the Drum by presurizing 3A allows 3rd gear power out. 3rd gear engagement happens when solenoid 1 and 2 are engaged at the same time.

Has anyone wired idiot lights to see when the TCU is operating the Shift solenoids 1 and 2? I wouldn't think the TCU is releasing the servo before engaging Solenoid 2 but that could cause the problem...

Collins
Out to loosen 1 more time and get rid of that extra fluid.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:27 PM
ww111

I promise I'm not doing this to increase my post count... BUT, I just got back from a 30 minute in town drive without the flare. I'm cautiously optimitstic (To quote mr. Greenspan) but I must have taken a quart and a half of extra fluid out of the tranny, And loosened the band up one more time (strangely ending up where the manual tells you to) and it drove like a champ. Now I'm going to have a beer!

Secondly... I was looking at the TPS and if I had to guess I'd say it's ultrasonicly welded together. There's a tiny vent hole in the area of the electrical contacts. but other than that it looks hermetically sealed. and it looks like the body is glass filled nylon which is reasonably tough stuff. More reports as events warrant.

Collins
Old 09-07-2003, 12:45 AM
OrthopodSvx

So are you saying that instead of tightening that impossible little adjustment bolt, I should loosen it? Am I completely misinterpreting your most recent post? I’m going to re read it in a little while to see if it makes more sense. Please elaborate because I would like to be flare free as well.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:34 AM
ww111

Disclamer...
This is my interpretation of the manual.

section 3-2 page 12 When third gear is selected by the TCU (shift solenoid 1 and 2 are energized) hydraulic presure is applied to area 3R of the servo actuator. This retracts the rod and loosens the band allowing "3rd speed state".

The band is loose for 1st and 3rd and tight on 2nd and 4th. So the shift from 1st (no solenoids energised (section 3-2 page 80) to 2nd (solenoid 1 only energised) is made smooth by the actuator tightening the band on the drum. During the 2-3rd shift (solenoid 2 and 3 energised) the rod is retracted when pressure is applied to area 3R of the actuator. in the "4th speed state" only solenoid 2 is energized and the band tightens again

So the way I'm interpreting this, and it looks right by the chart in section 3-2 page 111, is too loose could cause 1-2 or 3-4 flare. Too tight would cause the 2-3 flare. I'll be test driving most of the AM but if it works like it did last evening, to tighten the 2-3rd shift loosen the band.

Disclaimers (more) I have no other problems with this tranny and I have no trouble codes. Loosening the band adjuster is DANGEROUS. There is a small pin/band strut that will fall off the actuator if you loosen the adjuster too far. The manual says tork to 6.5 ft-lbs and then loosen 3 turns. That's about where I ended up. It also says the valid adjustment range is within 3/4 of a turn from this (3-turn out) position. If the band strut falls off the actuator, the transmission has to be pulled. If you've done any band adjustment I'd go back, torque the adjuster then loosen the thing 3 turns carefully. the Full adjustment range is only + or - 3/4 of a turn and that ends up being about 0.075" (full range)

Good luck and don't loosen the thing too far.

Collins
PM me for my phone number if you want to talk about this.

Also if a REAL subaru Mech on this list sees anything wrong here please correct me ASAP. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by ww111

The manual says tork to 6.5 ft-lbs and then loosen 3 turns. That's about where I ended up.
How did you get a torque wrench in there?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:01 AM
ww111

Calibrated wrist?
6.5 isn't much... and the wrench is only about 3" long so I wans't too worried about overtightening. It gets tight quick. in about an 1/8th of a turn or less. Plus there's a range of adjustment. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to let that pin fall off.

Collins
Old 09-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Calibrated wrist?
6.5 isn't much... and the wrench is only about 3" long so I wans't too worried about overtightening. It gets tight quick. in about an 1/8th of a turn or less. Plus there's a range of adjustment. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to let that pin fall off.

Collins
That is the right way to adjust the band, for a backyard job.
You would have to loosen the adjuster about 5/6 turns to have it drop the link out of the band.
Turn the adjuster in till it tightens and back it off 3 turns. This sets the right amount of clearance to suit the timing of the TCU. Too much clearance it will slip, too little clearance it will bind, as you have found.
All the best, your going the right way.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:43 PM
ww111

Thumbs down

OK, I'm back. The car's been in the shop since Monday and the Owner say's I've caused the flare with the NEW TPS. (don't go to Butches Auto in Syracuse) So I looked in the Book and there is no mention of the 0.500 volt adjustment. WHERE did this setting come from? Looking for some ammo for in the morning.

Collins
Old 09-11-2003, 02:53 PM
ww111

Trevor!!
This is from you:
"The voltage is specified as 0.45 -- 0.55 volts. I had no trouble in setting things at exactly half a volt."

I'm in the book and at closed throttle it list 4.4 to 4.8 VDC. The smallest value given is 0.7 VDC at WOT

Is this corrected in a TSB? (fingers crossed)

Collins
Old 09-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Trevor!!
This is from you:
"The voltage is specified as 0.45 -- 0.55 volts. I had no trouble in setting things at exactly half a volt."

I'm in the book and at closed throttle it list 4.4 to 4.8 VDC. The smallest value given is 0.7 VDC at WOT

Is this corrected in a TSB? (fingers crossed)

Collins
Book 3, page 195,

"connector & terminal / specified voltage:
(B67) No 8 _ body/
0.4-0.6V (Throttle fully closed)
3.6-4.3V (Throttle fully open )

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:06 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Collins,

Where are you reading the figures you have quoted ?

My official manuals covering RH drive vehicles show in engine section 0.4 - 0.6 volts closed throttle, 4.0 - 4.5 fully open and in trasmission section 0.4 - 0.6 & 3.6 - 4.3 and somewhere else which I can't locate at the moment I am sure 0.45 - 0.55. Based on these figures the mean setting would be half a volt.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-11-2003, 04:51 PM
ww111

In my manual (pub # G301BE 2 (back cover)) Throttle sensor, code 31 is on page 196 and 197 and lists engine OFF throttle closed as 4.4 to 4.8 and WOT as .7 to 1.7

If it was mis-set at 0.5 there was no indication. No check engine, or problems running (besides the flare)

My manuals are copyright 1991 so I'm hoping this was changed in a TSB?

Collins