Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-27-2003, 12:15 AM
6evil9

Question SOS!! Fuel or ignition problem

Hi everyone
Few months ago i ve been stupid enough to change my sparks to NGK platinums the proper SVX ones and it began...
What happens is that i got rough idling, huge loss of power, terrible response and seems like some of my sparks dont fire time to time... or something

what ive done:
1)changed sparks to brand new NGK double platinum pfr6b-11 i think
2) cleaned contacts on sparks= should be good
3) touched air flow sensor due to airbox removing (well unplagged and plagged back)
4) prolly touched contacts on injectors due to lack of space

more interesting it was going like that for a month but not too bad, then i decided to check the contacts on sparks again
and now its just screwed up while it supposed to be better....

any ideas? hints?

PS maybe ive done something else to it?

ps seems like car acts better after half an hour of driving ...but man i usually drive only for 20 mins in town....'

HELP!!! pls
Old 08-27-2003, 01:05 PM
supersvx

That's basically the same thing that's
happening to me right now.
I changed mine to bosch 4+

Does yours have a check engine light?

Dealer told me it might be MAF sensor
and the plugs combined.

I'm also getting horrific gas mileage!!!

Somebody has got to know something.

Theo
Old 08-27-2003, 01:37 PM

Exclamation

Hmmmmmm, could be your fuel filter is dirty or that you used cheap low grade octane gas. I have Bosch Plus 4's in my SVX. I have no problems. I just changed my spark plugs 3 months ago. I buy 93 or 94 octane gas all the time. I used cheap gas before and my engine started to idle rough and almost stalled. I had to pour in octane booster additive to bring the octance level up.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:24 AM
6evil9

Well i run 98, fuel filter is new but its got nothing to do with the problem i think....and yeah no engine check light now...but i used to have it for a while...with error code 32- oxygen sensor..but i guess its fixed now...

well ill try to change sparks back to the wrong ones, which were in my car b4...and see what happens but im 99% sure it wont solve the problem...

ok when one of my cyllinders does not have combustion in it, i hear clickig from injectors...well somewhere from around them, and its only left side..where i suspect the problem is...so could it be electronic control of injector going bad? and how can i check it if it can....

I checked all contacts on sparkplugs again, they were not good, i ve made em perfect but problem still exists : missing combustion on low revs leading to revs go up and down and car shakes, bad response when full acceleration , and the care became the petrol sucker... this s bad as!!

well these are all symptoms...so could i do something to any detectors or anything which could lead to it, while changing sparks?
or could i change ignition timing somehow? like the thing that rotates all the belts, its got some degree ruler there..well i tried to unscrew it... ....

anyways any help? idias? checks?
cheers
hope to hear from u guys soon
Old 08-28-2003, 03:35 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Sergi and thanks for the PM,

You are obviously an intelligent sort of guy and to some extent are answering your own questions. Thinking out loud as it were.

It would appear that you have damaged something or not put something back properly. It is very unlikely that the plugs are faulty but could you have damaged one or upset a gap during installation ? Slow down your thinking and back track on the operation and what you may have done in error. As you see I am simply re enforcing your own valid thoughts.

It is common for the coil units to be unwittingly damaged during a plug change due to the awkward nature ot the job. You say : -
Ò I checked all contacts on spark plugs again, they were not good, i ve made em perfect but problem still exists Ò You therefore indicate that you have doubts in this area.

You mention a clicking noise. This could be a spark jumping. Do a careful check in the dark, when you can hear the noise, to see if you can spot an arc. You have been working on things electrical so that is your first area which is suspect. After that you must consider what else you may have disturbed.

You surely could not have altered timing in any way based on what you have said. Do not over complicate the problem when trying to sort it out.

Best of luck and be sure, you are not abandoned at this point.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:41 PM
6evil9

hmmmm

ok ill try to find out which spark or cyllinder goes bad by unplugging contacts on injectors and see if the engine will work smoother... if it does then i ll know which cyllinder is bad which should make my fault finding 6 times easier ...hope this will work...

well i doubt i could damage coils i hope i did not...hmmm

just the clicking noise puts lots of doubts...maybe the injector is bad and just accedently it started go bad when i changed sparks? :s

and yeah the car works ok first 2-3 minutes but then its misfiring
and does not matter if any load, does same thing on idle

another noticable thing, if its not misfiring , my revs go up and down by sinosoidal with amplitude of 100 rev/min which is weird too....

anyways ill give more details tomorro when find which cyllider is bad and then try to change spark plug in it and c how it goes...
Old 08-30-2003, 07:13 AM
6evil9

ok i ve tried to disconnect each injector at time
and what i got is that car was choking and dieing and no monotone working

same for each cyllinder so i think mite be something wrong with whole system not with particular injector...well maybe im wrong

weird but i get that car goes worse if i drive longer..like good on cold engine and then degrade... any ideas whats wrong?

also driving alone motorway uphil i get that engince "chokes" kinda thingy sometimes..which looks more then just 1 cyllinder missfires...

pls help....my petrol bills are gitting too big plus its not cool driving and choking car

do u think any detectors working not good? O2 sensor? air flow sensor?
Old 08-30-2003, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX
It still appears logical that you should first assume that you did something when you changed the spark plugs.

Did you possibly push or knock of a vacuum hose connecting to the inlet manifold. Check that every rubber hose you can see or feel is connected at both ends.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9
ok i ve tried to disconnect each injector at time
and what i got is that car was choking and dieing and no monotone working

same for each cyllinder so i think mite be something wrong with whole system not with particular injector...well maybe im wrong

weird but i get that car goes worse if i drive longer..like good on cold engine and then degrade... any ideas whats wrong?

also driving alone motorway uphil i get that engince "chokes" kinda thingy sometimes..which looks more then just 1 cyllinder missfires...

pls help....my petrol bills are gitting too big plus its not cool driving and choking car

do u think any detectors working not good? O2 sensor? air flow sensor?
Hi Sergi, Check the little vacuum hose that is at the back, right hand corner, of the inlet manifold. This runs down to the fuel regulator, check where it runs over a bracket near the back injector, It rubs there to cut a small hole.
If the hose is not connected or has a hole, it will run very rich on idle and cruising.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:43 PM

Registered SVX
Sergi, another thought in case it may help.

You have probably done the right thing but just in case, note that when you disconnect each injector you are looking for the one which causes NO change in the running of the engine. When any GOOD cylinder is isolated the running SHOULD faulter.

Regards and good luck. You will get there. Trevor. *<)

Old 08-30-2003, 09:22 PM
6evil9

next steps...

To Harvey:

Quote:
Check the little vacuum hose that is at the back, right hand corner, of the inlet manifold. This runs down to the fuel regulator, check where it runs over a bracket near the back injector
ok on right hand side i found only big hoses (round 10mm diamiter) which go from black box on air intake

but on left side i found small hose bout 4mm inner diamiter which goes from left back corner of alliminium manifold and goes to back of rear injector..... is it the one u mean?

ok its hard as...i mean the hose...seems like really old + i took it off with no force it just slept on both ends...no holes in it... ok ill silicone the ends and put it back ie make sure it will work for the time i find new one...

dunno if it helps.....

to Trevor:

yes i unplugged injectors 1 by 1 and all 6 gave me same result: engine was choking to death working unstable loosing too much of power... could not find the one which would gimme any diffrent result from others...

sadly enough...
Old 08-30-2003, 09:25 PM
6evil9

hey Harvey actually u gave me damn good idea!
change all old hoses in my car... coz im sick of finding which one cracked now...i think 11 years is bit old for hose...
that one feels like plastic..i mean i cut the end of it and it cuts like hard as plastic...and looks like it :s
geeez
Old 08-31-2003, 10:56 AM
supersvx

yah, now this is really weird.

It's annoying cause, I never use anything
below 93 octane. This only begun to
happen right after I changed the spark
plugs.

What the hell could be wrong!!!

That gas bill is leaning on me pretty good.

Theo
Old 08-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Superbeast

Listen to what Trevor said: Go back and check the coils and the plugs. Look for the source of the clicking noise in the dark, you might have a leak in one of the coils (like a small crack where the spark can leak out but you can't see just by looking) or one of the "wires" to the plug has a crack, witch might be harder to find but it seems for as long as you seem to have been driving it there might be some traces of electrical trails on the wire by now. If non of these look bad pull the plugs back out and check your gaps you never know. Just another thought that I'm not sure is possible but, if you unpluged the coils near the back of the motor and plugged them back in the wrong spots, like mixed up the fireing order. I would try to avoid driving it as much as posible, if it's using fuel like you say it's probly dumping raw fuel out the exaust and if so your gona need new cats by the time you get this fixed.

P.S. Not to be an ass but, just think of all the money you saved doing your own plugs!
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 08-31-2003, 05:32 PM
supersvx

... thing of all the money you saved...

Dude that was like hitting below the belt!

When I change my oil or my spark plug
it's not about the money I save, it's about knowing that I did it myself, or I
would not have bought this car, I would
have bought a honda or something.

That's what being a car enthusiast is all
about.

Theo