Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Unhappy I searched to no avail

Well, I searched the forums to try to solve my problem, but nothing matched. Here's my deal

At low speeds, below 70, I get a pulsating noise (like a wheel bearing woo woo woo woo woo woo woo) and a vibration felt through the gas and brake pedals that matches the pulsation of the noise. I hope that description makes sense to somebody. As speeds increase, the noise and vibration both go away. While cruising at 80, I don't even notice them. But, when I brake from 50 or so to 0, I can really hear the noise and feel the vibrations ( noise goes from woo woo woo woo to woo woo woo woooo wooooo wooooooo wooooooooooooooo as I slow). I've had 2 rear bearings go out, and it seems to be similar to that, except for two things...the noise/vibration are coming from the front, and the noise goes away as speed increases.

Any suggestions on what to check? Front bearings, ball joints, alignment, wheel balance??? Thanks in advance.

-Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 08-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I'd start by checking air pressure at each tire. If that is fine try jacking up one end and trying to move the wheels side to side and up and down. If anything moves at either end, you have worn parts that need to be addressed. If everything is tight, I'd check tire balance and then alignment.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-19-2003, 09:38 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Front wheel bearings seem like a possibility. If wheel alignment is the problem, it seems to me that the tires will show the classic abnormal wear patterns that form from mis-aligned wheels. I guess ball joints could be possible if they are worn to the point of causing serious wheel mis-alignment. I would guess the same for wheel balance. Maybe its a CV joint going bad?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:04 AM
svxstl

I had a similar problem...in short, it was that I had cupped tires. When coming to a stop it was almost like a grinding noise. On the highway the noise became constant. The cupped tires were caused by bad struts. I also had my driver's side front bearing fail at about the same time, so get that checked out esp. if you say the noise is coming from the front only. I could never tell the direction of my cupped tire noise.

I'd get tire tread wear and wheel balance checked along with the front bearings. While you're at it get the alignment checked too Good luck!
Old 08-19-2003, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the good responses. More recommendations are welcome. I think my front struts are worn because I really feel tiny bumps now, especially washboards. I just had a CV boot replaced, but I don't think the CV joint is bad. The boot just had a small tear in it. Not much grease got out. As far as the bearing goes...is that a DIY check, or do I have to go to Subaru and pay a C-note to get it checked. I'm a handy guy, so if it can be done with normal or Autozone rentable tools, let me know how. My tire pressure was the first thing I checked, and it's OK, and the tread looks fine. I initially thought it was tire wear because it was happening with my old 16" tires, then I got new rims and tires and it went away up until about 10,000 miles ago. Since then it has just gotten worse. Maybe a gradual degradation of tires due to poor alignment and suspension. Man...too many variables. Thanks again for the help, and give me more help on the above topics if you can!!

-Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 08-19-2003, 02:20 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10

I initially thought it was tire wear because it was happening with my old 16" tires, then I got new rims and tires and it went away up until about 10,000 miles ago. Since then it has just gotten worse. Maybe a gradual degradation of tires due to poor alignment and suspension.

-Mat
That definitely suggests its a tire noise caused by mis-alignment or worn suspension. The noise and harshness you feel going over railroad tracks probably means that the bearings in the front strut mounts have become notched. It could be the ball joints too though.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:19 PM
svxstl

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
Thanks for the good responses. More recommendations are welcome. I think my front struts are worn because I really feel tiny bumps now, especially washboards. I just had a CV boot replaced, but I don't think the CV joint is bad. The boot just had a small tear in it. Not much grease got out. As far as the bearing goes...is that a DIY check, or do I have to go to Subaru and pay a C-note to get it checked. I'm a handy guy, so if it can be done with normal or Autozone rentable tools, let me know how. My tire pressure was the first thing I checked, and it's OK, and the tread looks fine. I initially thought it was tire wear because it was happening with my old 16" tires, then I got new rims and tires and it went away up until about 10,000 miles ago. Since then it has just gotten worse. Maybe a gradual degradation of tires due to poor alignment and suspension. Man...too many variables. Thanks again for the help, and give me more help on the above topics if you can!!

-Mat
I agree with mbtoloczko even though his handle is hard to type

I put new tires on before replacing the struts, and all was quiet and well for a few thousand miles and then I heard the noise starting very quietly--so I quickly replaced the struts.

I had an alignment done when I got the new tires, and they said the suspension was fine--so don't believe anyone. The symptoms of bad struts I had were that every bump was harsh and could be felt in the steering wheel.

Over larger bumps, and especially in bumps going around turns (even slight turns), the wheel would jerk back and forth. I was at the point where I would grit my teeth in preparation for certain bumps that I knew were bad. Also, in slight turns at highway speeds, the car would rock back and forth if I took my foot off the gas pedal--a fairly scary feeling like the car was fishtailing even tho I didn't lose control. All of these symptoms went away when I replaced the struts.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:26 AM

Well, if it's struts then it's probably gonna have to wait. In 4 weeks I'll be putting my car in the garage for 6 months. Of course, in that 4 weeks there is a drive from MI to NM, so I don't want any failures on that drive. I got a hold of a jack for tonight. I'm going to jack up the car by the a-arm and pry the wheel up to see if the ball joint is ok. Then I'll give the wheel a big hug and see if there is other slop in it. Then I'll give it a free spin and see if I can hear bearing noise. Finally, I'll remove the tire and grease the brake caliper. That's most likely not the noise, but i think it might be sticking. Mightazwellfixitwhileiminthere Thanks again. I'll let everybody know what I find.

Old 08-20-2003, 07:54 PM

Good, but bad

Well, I jacked up the car by the a-arm and hugged the wheel and shook away to find any free play. It moved a little bit, but I believe that the play was just due to a small amount of play in the steering. I could see the steering rod moving a little bit. Anyway, the play was barely noticeable. I also gave it a free spin or 10 and didn't hear any grinding. Heard the brake pads on the rotors, but no grinding like a bearing would do. So, the good news is that I don't think it's a bearing or a ball joint.

The bad news is that I think it's my struts. That's a little more expensive, but it allows me the option to upgrade my springs. Anyway, to further investigate, I did another test. I drove in a circle with the wheel at full turn. I drove at low speed. No noises while doing the low speed turn. Then, I quickly tapped the throttle to make the car accelerate quickly for about 1/2 sec. No abnormal noises as the car surged forward, still at full turn, but when I let off the gas and the nose dove down there's just a loud " thud thud" coming from the front. It's the same with the wheel turned in either direction, and it's always as the nose dives down. I've noticed it one other time when "showing off" for my boys. I was creepin' and I just threw the wheel to the left and punched it. When I threw the wheel to the left and the weight shifted to the front right, it made a loud thud. A final thought is that occasionally under hard braking, the car will suddenly just dive to one side as though it has found a rut, even if no rut is present. Do those symptoms fit strut/spring issues? As far as I know, I've got 126K on these suspension componets. Thanks for all of your help everybody. Hopefully I can get this fixed.

-Mat

Old 10-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I get that loud clunk as well cause by moderate acceleration/deceleration while turning fairly sharp. Did you or anyone else find a cause for this?