Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-10-2003, 12:18 PM

Manumatic/Sportshift Tranny Question

Has anyone out there either replaced the 4EAT with a Sportshift Auto out of a later model Legacy GT or Manumatic out of any vehicle for the one in their SVX or know of anyone who has.
If so was it an "easy" fit, or did it take lot's of mod's to get it to work? If mods were needed what were they? And what else had to be done to get it running properly?
I did a search of old post's about this and did see it was asked before but there were no real answers to the question and since the other thread was around a year old, I figured I'd ask again.
Also realize I posted the same question in general babble but only got one response, and that didn't really annswer the question other then to say they thought the differential would need to be changed as well......

(I know most who have changed the tranny went with a 5spd, but still curious about the sportshift setup)
Old 08-10-2003, 03:17 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I'd be curious about this too. My guess is that the biggest challenge would be interfacing the tranny with the TCU.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
You'd likely need the TCU from the sportshifter. I plan on doing this when my 4EAT gives up the ghost.

-mike
Old 08-12-2003, 10:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Level 10 provides the option for manumatic shifting with their rebuild. Roughly $500
Old 08-12-2003, 01:03 PM

While that may be an interesting option, the problem I see with it, is the SVX transmission was never really intended to be operated that way, and I think if you are going to change it to this style of tranny, you would be better off using one designed to function in this manner.

So from the lack of real response, Im guessing that no one has tried this, or know of anyone who has......Ahhh well, still worth looking into further I bet.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:59 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Rotorflyr
While that may be an interesting option, the problem I see with it, is the SVX transmission was never really intended to be operated that way, and I think if you are going to change it to this style of tranny, you would be better off using one designed to function in this manner.

So from the lack of real response, Im guessing that no one has tried this, or know of anyone who has......Ahhh well, still worth looking into further I bet.
That brings up a few questions:

1) What are the internal differences between a standard AT and an AT with manumatic shifting capability?

2) I've never driven a car with manumatic type tranny. How do they differ in shifting behavior from a standard AT? Does the TC lockup in all gears?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:31 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

This would be a really cool Idea... Especially if you could get ahold of one of the 2001 Liberty B4 trannys from Japan... Thier final drive is 4.44 and as far as I know they have Tiptronic abilities... That chould make for one hell of a conversion!!!! When last I checked, Shane (gotsubarus) had a Liberty B4 auto Tranny... Might want to get with him on it... Good luck with it though!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-14-2003, 10:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Might as well wait for the 5EAT Sportshift due out in '05 MY Legacies.

-mike
Old 08-15-2003, 06:23 AM

Yea, that wouldn't be a bad Idea... 5 gears to play with...

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-15-2003, 10:30 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Yea, that wouldn't be a bad Idea... 5 gears to play with...
I imagine its going to be pretty darn expensive, and I'd have to wait for people to start wrecking their MY '05 Legacies.

Visit my locker

Old 08-15-2003, 11:57 AM

But wouldn't it be cool... Instead of a 5 speed manual, a 5 speed Auto, that is exactly 10 years after your car was made... That's cool...

Old 08-16-2003, 12:52 AM

Re later models 4EATs - you definitely need a new TCU and a harness between TCU and transmission. They did a few changes in the later transmissions. One of them is a 3rd speed sensor - it gives TCU an ability to detect slippage in clutches (with SVX setup TCU knows input speed and output speed, but if torque converter is not locked up, it cannot tell whether the slippage is in torque converter or clutches).

The main benefit of the 3rd sensor is ability for TCU to learn clutch engagement timing and compensate for clutch wear. It should be able to keep shifts the same through the life of transmission. Plus it can detect any abnormal slippage early and set a malfunction light before transmission is cooked (not sure if it does it well, if it does it at all)

Once you put a new TCU, you'll discover that it uses a different connection to ECU (much more sophisticated - in particular it can read barometric pressure from ECU). This becomes a problem unless you replace ECU - but then you would want to put a matching engine in :-)

Well, that is as far as I went - it was enough for me to decide I want to stick with my 4EAT, no upgrades.

The other changes in transmissions are bolt-on external filter and a clutch pack instead of band brake - both are reasonable improvements.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:01 AM

gl1674,
Looks like you did some looking into it, and it looks like you found it would be a lot of work to do, (might still be worth it as a project)
You are right though, there are easier things you could do to improve the tranny. Thanks for the input and if anyone does (or has done) this swap, let us know how it works out.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Talking Continental for the incontinent.

The brand new Bentley Continental GT uses a six speed auto transmission, four-wheel drive with Torsen central diff.

It handles 2380 Kgs of car, 553 hp and 479 ft-lbs of torque, driven by a six litre W12 twin turbo engine. All this gives 0-62 in 4.7 seconds, 198 mph top speed, oh, and it locks up in all forward gears.

This gearbox would seem to me to be a worthwhile upgrade.

It would leave a little headroom for, say, supercharging the flat six, and playing with the steering wheel paddles might be fun also.

Might as well dream here, as in bed.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl