IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-24-2003, 01:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Push bike (Made in USA)
Oh, how odd. An American bike company that doesn't list any dealers in the US.

What've you got, Andy? A road bike or off-road?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-24-2003, 03:57 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I think I prefer that an objectionable thread remain readable unless it's really horrible, because I find it frustrating to see people discussing it and not have a clear idea what they are talking about when I can't refer back to the original problem.

Although I probably just want to read them because I'm nosey, so perhaps they should be deleted after all.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Okay, I just tried to delete this thread, as I promised I would 24 hours ago. Well, apparently we the people do not have the right to delete even our own posts or threads. I went through all the right steps and it still said I didn't have permission. Come on!

Guess instead I'll comment on all the responses. I see a lot agree with me and some would prefer to see some of the problem posts. I can see both sides of it and good aspects of both methods. Certainly making a public show of the discipline could help educate potential trouble makers. But I stand by my original statement that it also allows the trolls that extra little fuel for getting their jabs in. Yeah, the troll got disiplined, their thread got locked, but their nasty comments are still there to get others going with the flames. And notice how Rob mentioned that Trevor had made an impact on him through PM's back when he was having trouble fitting in here. Sure, some of the flame wars might have got some points across to Rob, but it sounds like maybe the tons of PM's I know he got from various members might have been the trick and we could have done without a lot of those public displays. Just food for thought.

This whole subject is really just talk, in our present state there are really no set guidelines for how our site works and maybe that is best. The governing board of the SVX World Network club, which is really only affiliated with these forums in a financial way, doesn't have much say over it and isn't really active right now anyway. Chris owns and runs these forums, but isn't an extremely active presence. So it comes down to the moderators, and pretty much whatever they feel like doing is what goes as the status quo. Currently we have Mike and Earl and they do a good job for the time that they are able to be here and monitor things. It's a volunteer gig and shouldn't be so overwhelming that the job takes away from their fun experience of posting here. I certainly was not attacking our moderators, just providing some discussion for them and any future moderators to think about in how they do things.

And to the thought of the moderators not being here 24/7 and not wanting to be overwhelmed. Well, several MONTHS ago, there was actually a big discussion among several of the senior members of this forum (folks that had all been here since Yahoo days) calling for more moderators. If I recall, there were nearly a dozen volunteers who were all willing to step forward and take on the role of moderator. These were all members that have been here since the beginning or soon after and know how this place works - what behavior is acceptable to the majority and what goes too far. These members came from all time zones in the US and had many different schedules as to when they normally logged on - essentially there would be nearly 24/7 coverage if these moderators had been activated. The shear number of moderators, the varied times they log on, and the varied interests, would assure that no one person would have to feel too much a burden as a moderator.

Unfortunately, that thread must not have been seen by the right people and nothing came of it. Efforts are being made now to see that the right people know about it. Time will tell I guess.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 06-24-2003 at 09:18 AM.