Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northeast Region

Old 02-14-2003, 02:54 PM
SVXlerate

Unhappy Oil in my Antifreeze

In the summer time I started to overheat on the hwy for no apparent reason - Enough Antifreeze, Fans were Blowing, I believe the thermostat was good. When everything cooled down I noticed oil in my antifreeze. I pulled the thermostat and removed the seal on the radiator cap and the system stabilized. I put in a new thermostat only to have the system overheat again. I removed that thermostat, tested it and found out it was fine...opening to specs. One final note, even though the thermostat is out, the temp gauge is right where it should be but I get no heat. Questions: (1) I'm assuming that the oil is either the head gasket or head/block. I'm trying to see if there is some other area that may cause a similar effect (ie.gaskets around the water pump). Also, are these engines known to crack or warp. (2) How can I not have heat, even though my gauge is showing a temp of about 190. Can this be a poor waterpump not flowing the coolant (which may explain why I overheated)...there is no noise or whinning coming from the unit. Sorry for all the details but I've been banging my head on this one.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Sounds like a head gasket to me. Whether or not that's the original cause of overheating is another question. The probable reason for no heat from the heater is that the water in it is being displaced by combustion gases.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I initially thought it was the water pump.

I remember reading a story about someone stealing an SVX for $750 because the dealership couldn't figure out why the engine kept overheating.

The owner replaced the waterpump and all was fine.

As for the oil in the antifreeze I think that either the head is cracked or else the gasket is damaged.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Are you absolutely certain that the coolant level is ok? The engine overheating and no heat from the heater was exactly the same symptoms I had when my waterpump started leaking and let most of the coolant leak out.

KuoH
Old 02-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Superbeast

I had the same problem with my Legacy. Only after having the engine rebuilt. I noticed it after a hose blew. Then I had it rebuilt again with new pistons( trying to get rid of the knocking noise) and it did it again. So I'm just not paying the rebiulder the rest of the mony seems he's had the engine apart three times! Still don't know where it's coming from.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:32 PM
SVXlerate

Thanks for the input

Ok, so at this point I should change the waterpump and head gasket.....From everyone's experience, do these blocks crack or do the head gaskets go....Just trying to hedge my bets.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Don't forget that a leaking tranny oil cooler will also allow oil into the cooling system. Another cause for the lack of heater heat could be the oil clogging the heater. More testing is needed before anyone begins yanking things apart.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXlerate
Ok, so at this point I should change the waterpump and head gasket.....From everyone's experience, do these blocks crack or do the head gaskets go....Just trying to hedge my bets.
The engine on the SVX is one of the most robust I've owned. However, as with any aluminum block engine, it is given to warpage when it overheats. Check your gaskets and such, as suggested. If the problem persists, you may have some warpage. While replacing the head gasket, check for warpage, just in case.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: