How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-01-2003, 09:49 PM
SVXCAPE

Angry tranny prob

Alright, I was on my way to go skiing today and a huge cloud of smoke shot out from under my car. I pulled over and poped the hood, and noticed tranny fluid spewing out from around the auxillary filter area. I had to move the car further off of the road, by the time I got back in my car, all the fluid had drained out, so I had to coast it backwards to move it. This all took place within a minutes time. once I did that, I checked to see if the tranny dipstick was pushed up and it was not, so I am thinking that it is just a cracked filter or a hose that broke from wear, instead of a sudden increase in pressure, unless the increase in pressure was just enough to break an already worn hose and not to push the dipstick up. I don't know for sure where the fluid leaked out ( hose/filter ), but I know for sure it was in that area, it is not obvious. I went down to denver to try and find the filter kit, and had no luck anywhere, so I guess I am going to get it online.. Has anybody here heard of anything like this happening before? I hope my tranny is okay.. I'll crawl under and find out for shure tomorrow. sorry for the long post
Old 02-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Pop stick-le

Hi Martin Luther King Jnr

I am presuming you lost all fluid, and the car would then not drive. Am I right?

Can't imagine why you would think it would drive ATF out the filler hole. The likelyhood is you have a split or bust hose. Maybe if you have an aftermarket filter or cooler, one of your connections was not secure enough for the pressure.

In the case of a sudden loss of fluid because of a leak like yours seems to be, then the tranny will not drive. The car would stop, but no harm should come to the tranny. You fix the broken hose, refill with fresh fluid and away you go!

Hope this is the case and you have no further problems.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-02-2003, 11:04 AM
SVXCAPE

quote:
Can't imagine why you would think it would drive ATF out the filler hole. The likelyhood is you have a split or bust hose. Maybe if you have an aftermarket filter or cooler, one of your connections was not secure enough for the pressure.

I did not think the fliud would come out of the filler hole, I was thinking that the pressure inside the tranny, if it increased suddenly, would be enough to push the dipstick up. I don't even know if it would work that way , I was just guessing.

the car did not stop driving until i had pulled it onto the side of the road to check it, which was immediately after the big puff of smoke.

yes hopefully it is just a split hose, or something else very simple, I am getting ready to go find out , I will post back later as to what it was.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The dip stick goes into the sump and that is on the suction side of the pump. There is also a vent from this sump cavity to atmosphere.

Busted hose I hope for you too.

Why the M.L.K. Jr?
Old 02-02-2003, 06:41 PM
SVXCAPE

sweet, it was just a hose that came off of one of the tranny lines. I figured it would be something simple, the clamp must have worked itself loose over time.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:07 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

That is great news. I have been eyeing the hoses at the rear of the engine to the transmission. They seem to be getting a little hard and brittle.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
SVXescape

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCAPE
sweet, it was just a hose that came off of one of the tranny lines. I figured it would be something simple, the clamp must have worked itself loose over time.
You've just had one. Escape I mean.

Do not go to jail. Pass. Go.

Glad it was a cheapie. While you are under the hood, check all your hoses for tightness. If a water hose lets go like that, you would cook the heads pretty easy. Check 'em all. Reassure yourself.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl