Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Alternative option to replace PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Crazy thought. Is there a device one could screw in place of the PCV which would allow a hose to come out to a much more accessible location so that one could place a PCV valve in this hose and replace it easily should it be required again some day?

Manifold>PCV--------------------->

Manifold>Adapter------>PCV-------->
If it had to be replaced on a regular basis, it may be worth the effort, but then you have a few more feet of hose and elbows in an already crowded spot.

But once you do it, it really isn't that hard. Plus like Mike suggested by the time you need to do the second swap, it's a good idea to remove the entire manifold and get rid of the brittle hoses.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 PM
soup IS good food

Registered SVX

I was very confused by this thread. I just spent too much time over three weeks replacing my PCV valve. Took even longer because the hose that connects to it cracked in half in the process. Between changing the vlave and the hose I thought I'd mmanager to accidentally disconnect everything in the vicinity and the hose mentioned here didn't look familiar. Bothered me so much I went out in the rain at 11:00pm to look (I havent put the covers back on yet). That hose apparently doesn't exist on the 97.

To get the PCV valce on I built a small holder out of wood that held the valve and I wrapped twine around the valve and pulled so the valve spun and threaded in while I pulled up on my holder.
'89 XT6
'08 Impreza
'18 Crosstrek

Totaled
'98 LGT ~180K
'97 OBW ~185k
'93 SVX Less Reddish

Sold
'89 XT6
'04 VDC Sedan

Parts
'89 XT6
'96 SVX
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
so what is the charcoal canister used for? Why do we have it?
Basically reading that thread I can pull that hose off and plug the fitting on the TB??
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybytes2 View Post
I was very confused by this thread. I just spent too much time over three weeks replacing my PCV valve. Took even longer because the hose that connects to it cracked in half in the process. Between changing the vlave and the hose I thought I'd mmanager to accidentally disconnect everything in the vicinity and the hose mentioned here didn't look familiar. Bothered me so much I went out in the rain at 11:00pm to look (I havent put the covers back on yet). That hose apparently doesn't exist on the 97.

To get the PCV valce on I built a small holder out of wood that held the valve and I wrapped twine around the valve and pulled so the valve spun and threaded in while I pulled up on my holder.

The hose that feeds the valve cracked you say?...I was afraid mine would break and split but I did mine immediately within 2 hours of driving the car..meaning the intake and hose was still warm..allowing an easier time to get the hose to come off.
If I had longer fingers I could get the valve started upside down, but since my TB was off I used that to my advantage.
Which hose does not exist on your car?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95 View Post
so what is the charcoal canister used for? Why do we have it?
Basically reading that thread I can pull that hose off and plug the fitting on the TB??
Yea, you can. Charcoal canister is for emissions. Basically, the gas in the tank that slowly evaporates gets stuck in the charcoal and then there's a valve that opens and lets it into the intake. That hose that connects to the throttle body that you split is where it gets into the intake. I mean, it would be nice if you put it back together, but if you don't care then it's not really worth the trouble. If your state does emissions then you might want to hide the part that's blocked off.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
soup IS good food

Registered SVX

The hose that doesn't exist is the one that you split the end of. There is the hose on the drivers side of that block, but the passenger side is a solid cylinder.

The PCV hose snapped at the first bend leading away from the valve when I tried to move it to attach to the new valve.. The hose was so dried out it had no flex whatsoever.

I temporarily put a generic hose in place so I could drive it. Went to the local subaru dealership to order a replacement. The picture that the guy at the counter showed me didn't look quite right so I had him come out to the car to double check. He saw the hose I had in place had kinked at the 180degree bend and commented that the kinked hose might be the cause of whatever problem I was having. I was like.. you think maybe I should go to the dealer and order a replacement.. oh wait.. that is what I am doing!
'89 XT6
'08 Impreza
'18 Crosstrek

Totaled
'98 LGT ~180K
'97 OBW ~185k
'93 SVX Less Reddish

Sold
'89 XT6
'04 VDC Sedan

Parts
'89 XT6
'96 SVX
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I managed to change the PCV with just a standard open ended 19mm wrench. *shrug*
A PITA no matter the *shrug*