Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX
In-dash GPS/Radio

Can anyone recommend a good in-dash GPS/Radio unit. My CD player is dead and i'm sick of crappy radio stations. Does anyone know of a good one that will not get caught on the door, and be easy to install. Also, would there be anything to worry about (such as wiring it into the car or the GPS signals being blocked by the windshield)

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: In-dash GPS/Radio

lots of people got the pioneer AVIC but i think any front loader will work as long as there isnt a motorised screen
Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Any good double-DIN will work great. Mine's an older one, but I have a Kenwood DNX-5120 (long since superseded) that works fantastically well. I have GPS and XM Satellite Radio, as well as USB and iPod connections. It means I have loads of connectivity, loads of music options and a damned nice GPS (Garmin). It's not without bugs, but it fits nicely in the SVX's dash and I can still close the door

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

How difficult is it for one of these stereo places to install a new stereo? I was looking at one a while back and was leaning toward the Pioneers due to their great reception.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The SVX is quite difficult to install stereo in, without hacking and wrecking the dash...be sure to buy a connector from the member here who sells them, and print out the installation instructions to give to the installer. An antenna extension is also needed, as well as knowledge of the SVX dual antenna system, these are the kind of things that the average installer wont know about...the speakers are tricky too.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 AM
... a work in progress

I went with the pioneer AVIC 310BT, the stereo sounds good though in my opinion the GPS could be better. I got the harness & instructions (which made it nice) & broke it down into a few evenings. One night to remove panels & the old stereo, one night to solder the harness & run microphone/usb/GPS antenna wires, & one night to install. By all means, patience is a must! Good luck!!

I hear what you're sayin', but whatta ya mean?!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Where is the thread with instructions and the place to buy the cable? I'm not certain I'll be doing this, but it would be very useful to have GPS in the car and I don't want a dash mounted unit.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Radio install guide is here:
http://ae64.com/SVXAudioInstall.htm

Buy the adapter here:
http://ae64.com/SVXharness.htm
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

Buy the adapter here:
Awesome. Thanks very much. Hopefully if i took that to a shop they would be able to install it.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I would anytime choose a Kenwood with the Garmin navigation or Garmin black box on any other system. My second choice is the Eclipse (Fujitsu Siemens). Just make sure you choose one with at least 5V pre-out.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Registered SVX

i bought the jvc double din dvd/nav a couple years ago but would recommend against it. the screen stopped working and after taking it apart to figure out i need a small cable that hooks from the screen to the unit (flip screen) that jvc won't sell to me unless i go through a service person who would charge more than the thing is worth, it's useless. not a commendation just a precaution, jvc head units are cheap crap which is obvious once you take it apart.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:00 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post
Awesome. Thanks very much. Hopefully if i took that to a shop they would be able to install it.
If you do take it to a shop, watch and make sure they don't screw up anything, or overtighten anything (ESP THE RADIO CAGE, the plastic gets stripped crazy easily).
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

Buy the adapter here:
That first document is a great one. Doesn't hurt that I get an acknowledgement for the work I did on the original (I am Gavin Haslett)

One point to make about the Kenwood is that it is actually a pretty shallow mount. As a result, it's probably easier to mount in the confined space of the SVX's dash. There are LOTS of cables though because of the XM and GPS antennae, as well as the USB port (run to the glove box) and iPod cable (run so I can put my iPhone under the parking brake while I drive). I would also agree that the Kenwood is my favourite mostly because of the Garmin GPS.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.