How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Registered SVX
5 speed Questions

I guess this is for owners or people with knowledge of the 5 speed conversion.
1) When the SVX is converted to a 5 speed does the AWD work as well as when it was an automatic. I know my 91 5 speed Turbo Sport Touring Sedan had a different set up than the auto. Use of a thing called a Viscose Coupler ( ?SP)
2) When it is converted does the Cruise still work ? Or do we loose it?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed Questions

1 - I have a 6-speed, not a 5-speed, but my 6-speed is non-DCCD, so it has the same type of center differential as the 5-speeds, the viscous center diff. It feels much better to me than the ACT-4 AWD system that the USDM SVXes came with, because it's always in AWD mode, instead of only when the front wheels slip. That said, it's pretty difficult to make any of the wheels slip, so I don't really know how well it would do if it loses traction. It is much more difficult to lost traction though. I think the viscous center is better overall.

I don't think it's as good as the VTD system, but I've only driven an 03 VTD outback for a week or so, so I can't make a good apples-to-apples comparison.

If you want a decidedly superior AWD system in a USDM SVX, a DCCD 6-speed is the way to go, if you can afford it. Not many can these days though.

2- It's really really easy to keep the cruise control. The how-to that Huck made explains how to do it, but not very well. I have been meaning to write-up how to do it so that it makes more sense, esp to those who are less experienced like I was. If you have questions about this, make a thread so we can clear up the confusion about this.

Hope that helps.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Ask the guy from Syracuse (the snowiest city over 100k population in the U.S.) and he'll say that it's probably better. My Pearly walked the snow (in its snow days) as well and with as much confidence as my Legacy ever did.

The cruise is still intact, as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM

Registered SVX

When the swap was done was it something that had to be done separately or did just happen .. In other words is it built into the car and stays behind when you do the swap or does it leave the car in the tranny
Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The controller and all other bits are in the car. The real difference involves the neutral safety switch wiring being translated to the clutch pedal.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Registered SVX

That is what I wanted to know...so it can be done as long as the NSS was removed and a Clutch position switch replaces it . if it was not done during the original swap it can still be done
Old 05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I don't see why it couldn't be done still.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album