Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires

Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Re: Identify these wheels please!

RGs are very nice.

Related to the RG-F and RG-R, which are both exposed-bolt variants of that design RG and RG-II have center covers.

A lot of the RGs seem to be VW fitment (OE Wheel for R32 Golf, IIRC...) and are 5x100 et35, IIRC... a bit low offset, even for Subies that do fit 5x100... but there appears to be variants of RG-II that do have 5x114, that fit Toyotas and such.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Jordan

OKAY,
I found a set for sale. I need to know if they will fit, and how sure you are about it, LOL! Thanks!

18in BBS RG116 wheels: Bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and the Size is 18x8 + 33 offset front and rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18 BBS RG one.JPG (295.1 KB, 222 views)
Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX Maxximus View Post
OKAY,
I found a set for sale. I need to know if they will fit, and how sure you are about it, LOL! Thanks!

18in BBS RG116 wheels: Bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and the Size is 18x8 + 33 offset front and rear.
I have a feeling that the 33mm offset is going to break the deal, and likely the fenders. but I will defer to people who know SVX better.

Even accounting for the extra width, ~55mm stock offset to 33mm offset is a lot less, and will push the wheel rim outward by a good amount...

7" oe wheels to 8" aftermarket adds nominally half an inch to the inside and outside width, from centerline, ignoring the additional two inches in diameter, which is immaterial for offset calculations.

Half an inch is 12.7mm added between center and outer rim edge, and another 12.7 added between the center and inner rim edge.

22mm offset difference, minus the 12.7mm margin for the wider wheel = 9.3mm further outboard than a stock wheel for the inner rim edge.
The centerline is moved outboard by 22mm, compared to a 55mm offset wheel. Offset is directly measured from the wheel's cylindrical centerline.
The outer rim edge is 34.7mm further outboard. that is roughly 1.4 inches.

It depends on how far under the fender the stock wheels tuck, from outer rim edge to the fender lip, but I'll bet 1.4 inches will push the outer wheel edge outside of the fender.

I know BBS wheels are robust, but I am not sure if you can get away with milling the hub pad of the wheel down on a lathe, without weakening the hub of the wheel. Theoretically, if you could, every millimeter milled away is another millimeter of positive offset.

The other option is trying to see if they were offered in a different fitment, with a higher offset. It is entirely possible that it was, but I have no idea how commonly available they are. Even ~48mm offset would be better than 33.

That is the issue with Subie AWD, and thus Subie cars in general. VERY high wheel offset that limits aftermarket choices. Other Subarus with 5x100 add a rarer bolt pattern to that mix, like my Legacy.

RG evidently has a lot of options...
http://www.wheelspecs.com/BBS-RG-II_wm923.aspx

The 17x8 and 18x8 options only go up to 40mm offset, which might be on-the-line.

The 17x9 and 18x9 options actually go all the way to 42mm and even 50mm offset, which should fit better in terms of offset, but the extra width might just be to much, and might actually even move the inner wheel rim inward, and could rub on the inner fenders, or even the suspension. The thing is, by being 2 inches wider, rather than 1 inch wider, you are still hitting 38 to 30mm extended outboard, for et42 and et50 respectively. Arguably, if those can fit under the fender lip, the 33mm offset 18x8 might fit, too, and the 39 or 40mm offset would be even safer for the fenders.

40mm 18x8, as I mentioned above, on wheelspecs for RG-II in 5x114 fitment, would be 2mm more inner clearance, and only 28mm outer extension, compared to a 7" wide, et55 wheel.

The question is, how much do the stock wheels/tires tuck under the fenders, and have other people fit similarly sized wheels to these BBSs under SVXs.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Two very good tools for wheel fitment geometry comparisons.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 05-26-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
It depends on how far under the fender the stock wheels tuck,
Thank you Boxer for the good info! I was afraid the offset for these wheels would be a problem, but I didn't know what boundaries we have to stay in for wheel fitment. FYI, I do have Motorsport drop springs, so my wheels do tuck in during cornering and bumps etc. I know that the tire dimensions will make a difference, but I still need to research more to find out my best bet for tire dimensions as I know nothing about tires. Too bad my Favorite wheels are going to be this hard to locate in good condition and correct fitment!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Jordan

If I can find these same wheels in a 40 offset, am I guaranteed they will fit as long as I get the appropriate tires? And what dimensions for the tires are recommended for an 18 x 8" with 40 offset? I don't want too thin of a tire for pot hole sake!