Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Wiring for subs and amp

If I were to do the typical amp and subs in the trunk, anyone have suggestions on how to run the wires and approximately how much I'd need. Also any idea of how to connect it to the power, direct battery via fuse? please post your ideas or what you you've done.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Re: Wiring for subs and amp

I did a fused wire direct off the battery, with the amp grounded in the trunk. I ran my wires through the firewall at the main wiring harness point and under the center console and back seat into the trunk. Just make sure you separate the power lead from the remote wire and RCA cable or else you'll get a nasty feedback whine.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I ran mine pretty hidden i'll try to take some pics tomorrow for you.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Here. I did a write up Maybe this will help
http://www.mediafire.com/?tylmm2w33xw
its too large to attach here but its only 2.23 mbs.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-02-2009, 04:31 PM

Registered SVX

On mine I ran it off the battery to a fuse with 4 gauge wire. I then ran it through the hole in the engine compartment beside the battery where all of the wires go to, ran it behind the fender liner and into the rubber grommet that goes behind the kick panel.

I then ran it underneath the carpet and bottom rear seat to a splitter that goes from 4 gauge to two 8 gauge outputs behind the trunk liner.

Then from there I ran one cable to the amp underneath the carpet on the backside of the seat and the other cable along the top of the fuel pump to the other side of the trunk liner where I have this.

The wire from that go underneath the back seat carpet to the amp and when it's all done it looks like this nice and clean.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
Just make sure you separate the power lead from the remote wire and RCA cable or else you'll get a nasty feedback whine.
true dont put these close to each other , i have done this error and it was really bad.
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill
Old 05-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

forgive me if it's a dumb question but I'm new to car audio stuff... what is this???

Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

I just got done doing this on Sunday, so it's all very fresh in my head. My hands are still nicked up from it - I haven't even had a chance to fine-tune the system or finish putting all the interior back in yet. But, all the stereo stuff is in there, and it all works.

For wire routing - I drilled a hole just above the accelerator pedal for the power cable, and installed a proper sized grommet to put it through. Was kind of a PITA to get to with the drill though, as the bit kept walking. There is a white plastic shield piece just under the carpet on the far left side (just behind the door sill) that already has some wires under it - I ran the power cable through this, under the rear seat, and up through the carpet. All remaining wires are routed along the sides of the center console / transmission hump area, under the carpet.

I have the amp mounted on the back of the driver's side rear seat using #10 plastic drywall anchors and 1" #10 sheetmetal screws (a suggestion from another member in response to a thread I posted earlier) which worked very well. All of the cables are concealed by the carpet until just before the amp, so you can't really see them. I allowed ample slack in the cable (which rests harmlessly under the rear seat) so that the seat can be folded all the way down - even with the rear cushion removed - without putting tension on any of the wiring, or causing it to pull out.

There is a little metal "lip" just behind the rear seat, which I used for my ground. I like this location because it's completely internal. The paint needs to be sanded off to make a good ground connection - but this leaves the ground area completely unprotected. With the internal ground location, no nasty salt can work its way into the unprotected metal from the outside and rust it out. Plus, this location is right next to my amp, so I was able to keep the ground run nice and short. I only needed to use about 1 - 1.5 feet of ground cable.

Wiring the comps up front was tricky, as I had trouble figuring out where to mount the crossovers. In the end, the driver's side one ended up being mounted to the bottom of a large metal support just to the left of the steering wheel, and the passenger side one is mounted to a removable metal piece bolted to the back of the glove box. To run the door speaker wiring, I removed both ends of the rubber tubes connecting the doors to the car, and used a stiff coat hanger and electrical tape to run the wire through the tubes.

This was just for the speakers - I haven't done a sub in this car. I haven't decided if that's the way I want to go with this car yet.

It's kind of a pain to do all of it - worth it though. Even without tuning anything, my stereo sounds 1000x better than before.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
forgive me if it's a dumb question but I'm new to car audio stuff... what is this???

It's like a tunable driver for the 2 main wires for the amp. It lets me tune the bass even better for subs or componant speakers.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress