Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Re: Now Konified...

Completely worth it! In my opinion. Makes the car handle like it should.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

It all depends on what kind of car you want. The manual and the GC/Konis together make it into a different kind of car. It's very responsive, a little raw. It kind of reminds me of my 1982 911 that I drove for many years. Obviously handles much differently, but there is the same connection to the road, feeling the bumps, no lean on the corners, and feeling that direct link between your right foot and the acceleration.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I have 450/350 spring rates and 18" rims. It's not advisable for NJ commuters. Luckily mine's a weekend warrior, but there's a lot of places wont take my svx to, knowing the conditions of the road there.

But it's one hell of a good time going down the twisties with a 5 speed
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Would spring rates with 420/315, be a little more livable, as compared to the 450 and 350? That's what I have and I am hoping these are livable.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

define livable..... My spring rates are livable... For me anyway

Those spring rates will give you a very very very very firm ride... If you are running 18" wheels in conjunction with those spring rates, then stay away from bumpy roads at all costs...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
define livable..... My spring rates are livable... For me anyway

Those spring rates will give you a very very very very firm ride... If you are running 18" wheels in conjunction with those spring rates, then stay away from bumpy roads at all costs...
There's this one area of town that I drive my SVX on but not my corolla, and its an uneven intersection that throws me from side to side in my seat, with the Konis. I take it so slow to the point where it annoys people following behind me.

I approached it in my Corolla expecting something similar, but in actuality was non-existent. 18s + Koni's are not a daily driver ride.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Interesting...will sticking with 16in or going with a lesser 17in as opposed to an 18in wheel, make the ride that much different?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Interesting...will sticking with 16in or going with a lesser 17in as opposed to an 18in wheel, make the ride that much different?
I have my stock 16's on now and its quite tolerable, but it's still much firmer than stock. In comparison, I felt that the stock suspension was very soft, and now feels more sportscar-like, if I had to describe it.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I wanna be Konified, but can't afford to be right now. I've heard some nasty noises when I had some friends sitting in the back going some distance over the weekend... everyone just kept saying "that sounds terrible" in which, I agreed and told them all to lose weight .

I think I need to throw down yet another $3,000 just to have my SVX where I feel it comfortably should be (suspension, complete brake job all-around, 5 new coil packs and so on).

Your pics are really nice, looks like a great setup! Overall you feel your money is well spent vs. a stock setup?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:42 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post

Your pics are really nice, looks like a great setup! Overall you feel your money is well spent vs. a stock setup?
Thanks

I wouldn't do it any other way. This is my 3rd suspension setup and I should have done it this way the first time around.

1.) Bone Stock
2.) New stock struts with mychailo performance springs (Great compromise between performance/comfort but rear struts died 12 months later)
3.) Koni/GC coilovers
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Thanks

I wouldn't do it any other way. This is my 3rd suspension setup and I should have done it this way the first time around.

1.) Bone Stock
2.) New stock struts with mychailo performance springs (Great compromise between performance/comfort but rear struts died 12 months later)
3.) Koni/GC coilovers
I don't want my struts to die... a year after spending that much cash... is this common???
Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I don't want my struts to die... a year after spending that much cash... is this common???
It's very common for the rear struts to die. They were stored sideways in the warehouse, which dried out a portion of the seals. This caused htem to die within 6-12 months.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Jordan

I purchased new struts with lowering springs and the rear struts died after about a year and a half!
I would like the koni/ground control setup, BUT I am now reading this may not be the best choice to go with if you use 18" wheels. I would like the RX-8 wheels, but would I regret this setup? And if so, what are the negative side affects?