Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Epic tools

I have been meaning to give a review of a particular tool I have been using for the past 8 months. It is the Snap-On 14.4v cordless electric 3/8" drive impact wrench. At first I had the same response as you right now... " How the hell is a cordless impact gun w/ 14.4v gonna be worth a crap?" Well, my distributor let me take one on a test-run. I started zipping off lug nuts, strut bolts, anything that would convince me not to buy it. Well, it worked great and I quickly handed over the $450 for the gun, two batteries, charger, and case. Honestly, I don't think there has been a day gone by since I got it I have not used it. I am not gentle with my tools either. Still works great, even on the light and medium duty trucks I work on at my full time job. I have used it to disassembled transmissions, engines, rear ends, and things even as small as interiors.

This thing is great and already paid itself off in full a month after I bought it. I don't even use my 3/8" drive air gun anymore because this does everything I need it to. its perfect for the weekend racer to quickly change wheels, and EPIC for anyone that works on cars for a living. HIGHLY recommended purchase for anyone looking for a good versatile impact driver.

I also recently purchased Snap-On's new 1/2" air powered impact wrench.... Not sure what I will ever need 1100 lb. ft. of torque for But when I find it, I will giggle like a little school girl when it does that job w/o having to lug around a 20lb 3/4" air wrench or a 35lb. 1"

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 03-22-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I kill more trannies then god

Re: Epic tools

havent used the 14 volt 1/2 yet, but my friends 18v 1/2 is freaking sick, best tool i have ever used at a rally-x or at a shop. i plan to buy one when i'm out of school
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

I have a 14.4 volt Makita, got it along with a drill, a flourescent drop light, a regular flash light, two batteries, a charger, and a tool bag for $369 from the Cornwell truck, it works great, it won't take lug nuts off, but it works great for skid plates, etc...

I also have a 19.2 volt Mac 1/2" drive electric impact that HAS taken off everything I've tried to take off with it, that I bought used off the same tool truck for $125. I keep it in the trunk of my car, along with a set of lug sockets in case I get a flat tire, or I see a damsel in distress but I'm happy with it. Will definitely come in handy for going to the junkyard too!

I took it with me when I went to Portland for my Subaru engines class, since all they have are hand tools, we had our engine halfway apart and then the instructor came out (he has this habit of telling you what to do, and then leaving for like an hour...) and hollered at me, he was afraid I was going to break a bolt, or something I guess. (Anyone on here who is a Subaru mechanic who has been to the Portland training center knows who I am talking about...)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I plan on getting my own before summer is out! This tool is truly awesome.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM
building more AK47's

I'll stick with my epic tool It can fix it break it and when you really need it, it can protect you
Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 PM

My 3 best friends are my Jet dual hammer heavy duty 500ft-lbs 1/2" drive impact gun, my Chicago Pneumatics 30ft-lbs 1/4" drive impact gun, and my 60gallon Sanford air compressor

The only bolt that has ever stymied my Jet is the 'bad ass bolt', the foot long monster that holds the lateral links to the rear knuckle on Imprezas and Legacys.

The CP 1/4" drive is a dream for putting together interiors, electrical (starters/alternators) and synching up engine parts before you apply torque, it's fast, quiet, and doesn't apply a lateral load to your hand. I hate air ratchets because if the bolt decides to stick, your hand instinctively migrates to the sharpest, dirtiest and rustiest piece of metal within striking distance.

Last edited by Splinter; 03-23-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I kill more trannies then god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
My 3 best friends are my Jet dual hammer heavy duty 500ft-lbs 1/2" drive impact gun, my Chicago Pneumatics 30ft-lbs 1/4" drive impact gun, and my 60gallon Sanford air compressor

The only bolt that has ever stymied my Jet is the 'bad ass bolt', the foot long monster that holds the lateral links to the rear knuckle on Imprezas and Legacys.

The CP 1/4" drive is a dream for putting together interiors, electrical (starters/alternators) and synching up engine parts before you apply torque, it's fast, quiet, and doesn't apply a lateral load to your hand. I hate air ratchets because if the bolt decides to stick, your hand instinctively migrates to the sharpest, dirtiest and rustiest piece of metal within striking distance.
I have used the 18 volt to take out that bolt at a junk yard at least twice. there really is no measure as to just how much snap on has out done themselves with this gun.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I clicked into this thread expecting it to refer to someone being a tool, not actual tools.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I clicked into this thread expecting it to refer to someone being a tool, not actual tools.

so he has a love of epic tools.

not that there's anything wrong with that ....

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I hate air ratchets because if the bolt decides to stick, your hand instinctively migrates to the sharpest, dirtiest and rustiest piece of metal within striking distance.

They make air ratchets that have an impact mechanism that don't do that, they are great! I don't have one, but I use my 1/4" drive air ratchet to run most things down, the only time I use my 3/8" air ratchet is if I can't get my 3/8" impact gun in to the bolt.
1986 VW Jetta
Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 PM

I should make a video of the 1/4" impact, it's really amazing how well it works.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX

yeah those 1/4" impacts are great, I want to get the 14.4V cordless impact/screw gun (it's an impact, but instead of a 1/4" square drive, it has a 1/4" hex socket that will accept standard screwdriver bits, they are great for interior stuff.. I don't like using air on the interior unless I have to, cuz my air hose is quite dirty, and I don't want to drag it all over the interior.
1986 VW Jetta

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: