Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: How to pull over a motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast View Post
ok, read the rules of the road, red and blue mean pull over, or they will attempt to pull you over using any means neccisary, you may get away if you run, but you may get hurt if you do. besides innocent people don't run.
any means necessary....????
This kind of "compliance" with police methodology harks back to "Wanted, Dead or Alive" times. If you give them this kind of license in what they perceive is the pursuit of their duty, you will have nowhere to look for justice if some day your kid is shot behind the wheel for breaking a red light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
The officer knew the outcome of his decision before he pulled directly in the path of the motorcyclist, its just lucky the guy had dumb luck and was alright. Wish we knew what he did though....
I've looked at it many times. It doesn't matter what he did. The cop gave him no time to react. The biker tried to turn if you watch carefully, but it was too late.

Ask yourself if the cop would have tried this if the perp was in a corvette doing the same speed. Or a truck. Would he? You bet he wouldn't. But because the cop is protected by two tonnes of steel, he can place the nose of his vehicle in front of 200kgs of a bike, and know that he himself will not be hurt.
The cop had room and time to turn his car completely sideways to the bike, totally blocking the lane. Did he do that? No, because he knew the bike would penetrate the side of the car and he would be hurt. At the last minute he stuck the nose of the car in the biker's path, knowing the bike could not crush the front of the car.

This is unjustifiable use of deadly force. Unless the biker was leaving the scene of a drive-by shooting and had a passenger on the back with an automatic assault weapon, there could be no justification for this action.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
This kind of "compliance" with police methodology harks back to "Wanted, Dead or Alive" times. If you give them this kind of license in what they perceive is the pursuit of their duty, you will have nowhere to look for justice if some day your kid is shot behind the wheel for breaking a red light.

I've looked at it many times. It doesn't matter what he did. The cop gave him no time to react. The biker tried to turn if you watch carefully, but it was too late.

Ask yourself if the cop would have tried this if the perp was in a corvette doing the same speed. Or a truck. Would he? You bet he wouldn't. But because the cop is protected by two tonnes of steel, he can place the nose of his vehicle in front of 200kgs of a bike, and know that he himself will not be hurt.
The cop had room and time to turn his car completely sideways to the bike, totally blocking the lane. Did he do that? No, because he knew the bike would penetrate the side of the car and he would be hurt. At the last minute he stuck the nose of the car in the biker's path, knowing the bike could not crush the front of the car.

This is unjustifiable use of deadly force. Unless the biker was leaving the scene of a drive-by shooting and had a passenger on the back with an automatic assault weapon, there could be no justification for this action.

Couldn't have said it better.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post

Agreed, I dont know if you had read my previous posts, but I was in full agreement with you that the cop shouldnt have done that.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Different rules apply with a bike. You can ram a car as an officer. You can nudge them, send them off the road, whatever. You can not do that to a rider. The likelyhood of killing them, or causing extreme injury, goes through the roof. Riders refer to cars and their operaters as "cagers" as they are surrounded by a cage, and are virtually invulnerable to a motorcycle. However, on the flip side, a rider is vulnerable to everything, including the rocks your car kicks up, or even the cigarettes you flip out your window. What he did was more dangerous than running over a pedestrian. Would you pull over a bicyclist like that? Even if he was running from the police?
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
ok, read the rules of the road, red and blue mean pull over, or they will attempt to pull you over using any means neccisary, you may get away if you run, but you may get hurt if you do. besides innocent people don't run.
Its this mentality that allows police to get away with **** like this. Innocent people do run if they are scared... We don't know the situation, but honestly it doesn't even matter. I am guessing you don't ride, otherwise you may see this differently.

To
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I kill more trannies then god

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Its this mentality that allows police to get away with **** like this. Innocent people do run if they are scared... We don't know the situation, but honestly it doesn't even matter. I am guessing you don't ride, otherwise you may see this differently.

To
true i don't ride, and i definatly do not think the police are always in the right. i am just stating that you should expect a reaction, if you are going to run from the police expect them to attempt them to stop you. if he had just stopped when they turned on their lights instead of fleeing, it wouldn't have happend.

also you can hear him saying he was running because he had some marijuana in his pocket.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
true i don't ride, and i definatly do not think the police are always in the right. i am just stating that you should expect a reaction, if you are going to run from the police expect them to attempt them to stop you. if he had just stopped when they turned on their lights instead of fleeing, it wouldn't have happend.

also you can hear him saying he was running because he had some marijuana in his pocket.
That says it all. Possession of hash is hardly a capital crime, yet the fool that took him off the bike could have killed him. Without knowing why he was running.

That man should be thrown off the force for lack of judgement. The police are meant to uphold the law, but not at any cost.

I hope the pot smoking biker sues the pants off that cop and the police department for back injuries or something. They need to learn that they can't just kill people for traffic infringements.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Couldn't have said it better.
+1

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872