Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Duty solenoid A

My trans was rebuilt only a year ago. I installed the shift kit. I checked for existing codes and got nothing. When I checked for previous codes, code 11 showed. Should I worry? Should I clear the code to see if it comes back? Or should I replace the resistor?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
My trans was rebuilt only a year ago. I installed the shift kit. I checked for existing codes and got nothing. When I checked for previous codes, code 11 showed. Should I worry? Should I clear the code to see if it comes back? Or should I replace the resistor?
Clear the codes and report back. At this point do not replace the resistor, as there are several alternative possible causes of any problem, if one does in fact exist.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
problem solved

I cleared the code and it came back. So I picked up a 25watt-15oms resitor for $1.25 and installed it. The car runs great and no more flashing light in the dash. The question I have is; Why did this happen when I installed the shift kit? The Trans was rebuilt and I had no codes previous to this upgrade.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Very, very strange. Then again...

When I first drove my SVX, the resistor was fine and the car drove normally. Then it sat in my garage for a month, got new wheels and tires afterward, and only then did I get the DSA code.

So it might've just been that it wasn't noticed until you made a change to the circuit. The last straw to break the camel's resistor, maybe?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I cleared the code and it came back. So I picked up a 25watt-15oms resitor for $1.25 and installed it. The car runs great and no more flashing light in the dash. The question I have is; Why did this happen when I installed the shift kit? The Trans was rebuilt and I had no codes previous to this upgrade.
The previous post is on line. Coincidence, or you may have moved a resistor which was on its way out and finished it off. Resistance wire becomes brittle over time.

Why have you installed a shift kit when you have a newly overhauled transmission? This certainly not an upgrade and rather, is more of a band aid.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I bought the shift kit because it was an upgrade. Why do you say it's a band aid? Was the shift kit invented to be a band aid? If it was, I wouldn't have bought it.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
When the tranny starts going, it starts slipping. The shift kit increases line pressure to maximum, firming up shifts... which makes the problem a little less noticeable.

...at least, I think that's what's meant here. I actually quite like how the SVX shifts on its own, so..
Old 04-24-2007, 03:50 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
When the tranny starts going, it starts slipping. The shift kit increases line pressure to maximum, firming up shifts... which makes the problem a little less noticeable.

...at least, I think that's what's meant here. I actually quite like how the SVX shifts on its own, so..
Exactly, I have posted info on the details several times, if you wish to search. Members will be becoming irritated if I again include the data here.

The resistor and circuit has a function. The designers were not silly.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
This is a quote from Small Car Performance;
''What if my transmission seems to be working perfectly?
If your transmission seems to have no problems shifting or has been rebuilt recently, you may not notice much difference in normal driving. Even so, under brisk acceleration the Smallcar kit will firm up the shifts, helping your transmission last longer.''

This is why I purchased it. I will no longer debate this because my intent was to get an answer and not to be criticized.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:42 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
This is a quote from Small Car Performance;
''What if my transmission seems to be working perfectly?
If your transmission seems to have no problems shifting or has been rebuilt recently, you may not notice much difference in normal driving. Even so, under brisk acceleration the Smallcar kit will firm up the shifts, helping your transmission last longer.''

This is why I purchased it. I will no longer debate this because my intent was to get an answer and not to be criticized.
My intention was in no way to criticise, but rather to assist with good advice, particularly as others will be reading this thread. Debate was certainly not in view. I was involved in the development of the “Shift Kit”, so have in depth knowledge of what is involved.

Yes this add on will increase line pressure and therefore result in firmer shifts, but not in a way which is desirable. You will note that the text you quote limits the facts to “helping” rather than making a definitive statement of fact, as is a common ploy in the world of sales.

Information covering solenoid “A” and the negative affects relative to the shift kit, will be found in my locker, if you wish to get the real oil on the subject.