How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-24-2006, 06:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Antigenus
Exclamation Rms

115volts, 10amps RMS, so it definitely going to flux upward in max power situations. The problem is right, from above...the remanu'd alternators GOTTA be suspect. The new one is fine right now, but I am scared to push it. I haven't used the inverter again.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:57 AM

Exclamation re

Well the POS 80amp alternator (this is the 4th "new" one) took a sh*t today, and its now the 4th alternator in about 6 months to go. I recently put in a new CD player and infiniti speakers, but no extra amplifier. I hope I can find a 95 amp replacement alternator. PM if you have one.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigenus
Well the POS 80amp alternator (this is the 4th "new" one) took a sh*t today, and its now the 4th alternator in about 6 months to go. I recently put in a new CD player and infiniti speakers, but no extra amplifier. I hope I can find a 95 amp replacement alternator. PM if you have one.
Benjamin Franklin once remarked that the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting different results.

You know that the next alternator will soon be toast too, don't you?

Or, to put it another way, quoting Auric Goldfinger from the Janes Bond film, "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action".

Something in your car is killing alternators, the pity is that neither of us knows what it is. You have the car, you apparently have a test meter too, but if you haven't found the fault by now, perhaps you should consider paying somebody to find out where the problem is. It's going to be cheaper than buying the entire output of the alternator factory.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:32 PM

I've read through all these posts, some good information, but i never did see a response to one question. The Battery. How old is it and has it been load tested. If the battery is internally shorted it can eat altenators, but still have enough juice to start the car.
i would also go someplace else for a altenator. The charging and starting circuit are not that complicated. When the car dies, will it restart or is it dead till the next day (ie the battery building itself back up over night). Even if you have a dead altenator, with a fully charged battery, the car should run ten-20 minutes ( sometimes as much as forty) before dying. Battery cables get old and do need replacing from time to time. To have that dead a short someplace, other then the battery, something would have to get awfully hot.

nipper
Old 05-09-2006, 06:17 AM

Exclamation re

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper
I've read through all these posts, some good information, but i never did see a response to one question. The Battery. How old is it and has it been load tested. If the battery is internally shorted it can eat altenators, but still have enough juice to start the car.
i would also go someplace else for a altenator. The charging and starting circuit are not that complicated. When the car dies, will it restart or is it dead till the next day (ie the battery building itself back up over night). Even if you have a dead altenator, with a fully charged battery, the car should run ten-20 minutes ( sometimes as much as forty) before dying. Battery cables get old and do need replacing from time to time. To have that dead a short someplace, other then the battery, something would have to get awfully hot.

nipper

Well I haven't formally tested the battery, but the other day I when the latest failure of the alternator happened I was about 20 minutes from home, the alternator died and then I turned off the headlights, pulled out my cd player from the harness and didnt use any windows, etc. The car made it home fine. So I assume that 20 mins was a complete load off of the battery. I will get it formally tested but I think its the 80amp alternators. The OEM is 95amp and I finally found one in cleveland (north of me) that has OEM alternators. I will see if this fixes it, otherwise I think you are right and I will have to pay someone to trace lines to see if something else besides the underpowered alternator is responsible. WAR SVXS! YOU ALMOST MAKE ME WANT TO SELL YOU!!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:19 PM

re

Ok more crazy fun, I got a 95amp mitsubishi alternator that fits in properly in everyway but the alternator pulley wheel lines up with the inner crank and a/c pulley and not the crank, idler and power steering. It fits PERFECTLY but its like the pulley is wrong on the alternator. Anyone have an OEM alternator to sell?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Ok more crazy fun, I got a 95amp mitsubishi alternator that fits in properly in everyway but the alternator pulley wheel lines up with the inner crank and a/c pulley and not the crank, idler and power steering. It fits PERFECTLY but its like the pulley is wrong on the alternator. Anyone have an OEM alternator to sell?
The pulley off your last alternator can't be swapped to the mitsu unit can it??
Old 05-11-2006, 07:24 AM

re

thank a lot budfreak, the pulley worked fine off the old one and the new 95a mitsubishi alt is in, hope this works.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
thank a lot budfreak, the pulley worked fine off the old one and the new 95a mitsubishi alt is in, hope this works.
Glad to hear it. Good luck with it and if it fries too, Look me up.