Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-01-2005, 09:27 PM

Driver's Side Seat Belt Stuck In Front Position! HELP!

You can add me to the long list of SVX owners with automatic seat belt problems. As of tonight, the passenger's side belt is stuck in the forward position. I found a post from zavikan and 96svxer (This Post) who mentioned replacing / rebuilding the rear limit switch. Where is this part located for the driver's side? Is it easier to buy a new one instead of breaking it apart and dealing with the spring mess that lies inside? Finally, 96svxer mentions "resetting the seat belts manually". How does one go about doing that?

Or, does anyone know of a different solution that could fix this problem? It is so damn frustrating!!

Thanks!!

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 12-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
There is a way to check the seatbelt codes on the SVXipedia on http://svx-iw.com/

That should tell you exactly what's wrong. Perhaps it's thinking your door is forever open?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 AM

I thought of that, but if the car thought the door was open, wouldn't the dome light stay on or door indicator show the door was open?

Last edited by angrydan; 12-05-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydan
I thought of that, but if the car thought the door was open, wouldn't the dome light stay on or door indicator show the door was open?
Yes it would.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Check my Personal locker on the manual seat belt installation document to see a picture of the limit switches.

Good luck.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 12-03-2005, 12:25 PM

I get a Code 14 from the diagnostic computer. That one is rear limit switch is stuck on. Now that I know the problem, any suggestions for the best way to tackle "unsticking" the switch?

I used an allen wrench to pull the seat belt to the back. Then, I disconnected the battery for about an hour. I reconnected the battery and when i opened the door, the belt went forward again. However, when i shut the door and turned on the engine, the belt remained forward.

I've been searching through past posts and am having a hard time piecing together what I should do next. Any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Go to svx-iw.com and click on svxipedia, then interior, then automatic seatbelt solution. This is a simple fix. Try it.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:56 AM

I suppose this would work. However, I do put my rear windows down pretty often and would like the functionality of the car to stay the same. Should I just bite the bullet and order a replacement limiter switch from Subaru? I think subaruparts.com has them listed for like $30. Does anyone know if the front and rear limiter switches are the same part from Subaru? I'm thinking it might be worth doing this once and changing both in one shot.

Are there any other tricks I can try?

Old 12-04-2005, 03:04 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Use the simple fix just to get the belts back to the closed position. Disconnect the automatic seatbelts and use them manually untill you fix it the right way. Unless you want to waste your money on trouble shooting the simple fix is the cheap way to go. Good luck.

Dan out
Old 12-05-2005, 09:46 AM

I ordered the replacement switch from the dealer today. The price seems a little bloated at $39, but if it gets my SVX running again, its worth it!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 AM

Of course the price is bloated from a dealer, did you expect anything less?

Someone did a cheap fix by replacing the micro switch with the same one from Radio Shack for a couple of dollars. Your search should've revealed this!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 12-10-2005, 03:33 PM

I am beyond desperate now. The Front limit switch is what the dealer gave me. I told them I needed the "rear limit switch" as indicated by the error code. The only problem is, they can't find a reference to that part anywhere. My searching revelealed the same. Subaruparts.com has an exploded diagram of the automatic seatbelt mechanism and I don't see a "rear limit switch" anywhere. I confirmed it isn't a motor problem by doing the window switch fix for now.

Honestly, I have no ideas what to do from here. Is the rear limit switch part of a bigger (and more expensive) mechanism that cannot be replaced separatly? If it can be replaced separartly, does anyone know the part number for it?

HELP!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:48 PM

Dude, that sucks the big one! It just so happens that I'm selling both seat belt tracks complete with functional limit switches I removed my active seat belts for a manual one. See thread http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29893

Contact me if you're interested.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E