How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

idling really weird

At idle it almost sounds like it has a faint knocking but it runs fine and I can only hear it at idle. not a sharp knock, just very muffled....Someone told me its just how boxer engines sound when they idle but id just like to confirm that my baby is alright and you guys are the guru's to consult... btw Ive been the proud owner of my 92 LS-L for 2 whole days now lol.... and WOW is it fast :-D
Old 11-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
At idle it almost sounds like it has a faint knocking but it runs fine and I can only hear it at idle. not a sharp knock, just very muffled....Someone told me its just how boxer engines sound when they idle but id just like to confirm that my baby is alright and you guys are the guru's to consult... btw Ive been the proud owner of my 92 LS-L for 2 whole days now lol.... and WOW is it fast :-D
yep, that's a normal sound...
Welcome to the site!
how many miles does your car have on it?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

oh thank god.. i was thinking i am needing a new engine haha. 118,250 right now and LOVING IT! I get SO many stares driving it... managed to spank a G35 coupe today too :-D
Old 11-21-2005, 08:47 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
oh thank god.. i was thinking i am needing a new engine haha. 118,250 right now and LOVING IT! I get SO many stares driving it... :-D
The stares are my favorite part.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Dont Drink and Drift

And WHY is everyone trying to race me??? lol Im not about to be hard on my baby just because someone in a souped up civic thinks for a second that he can run or corner with me... Sigh, poor ricer kids... when will they learn?

i also noticed that this thing is lower than any car ive parked next to yet... its seriously so low that I have to crab over most speed bumps and driveways here in DC.

By far the most impressive car in both performance, workmanship, and fit and finish especially for a car thats 13 years old... Subee was so far ahead of their time with this car.... wow. Also, do our cars have variable valve and cam timing? Just curious... I know i know, so many questions but its such a rare car and this is my only source of info lol Thanks for putting up with me haha
Old 11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
By far the most impressive car in both performance, workmanship, and fit and finish especially for a car thats 13 years old... Subee was so far ahead of their time with this car.... wow. Also, do our cars have variable valve and cam timing? Just curious... I know i know, so many questions but its such a rare car and this is my only source of info lol Thanks for putting up with me haha
It's an impressive car in many regards, but a 13 year old car is going to have a few issues down the road so be prepared.

Here are two threads I started comparing the SVX to a 993 Porsche:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=porsche

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27471

And one comparing the engine output to the n/a versions of the 300ZX, 3000GT and Supra:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22955

The SVX doesn't use variable valve timing, but it does have an IRIS valve in the intake manifold that allows it to have a wonderfully flat torque curve throughout most of the rev band!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

Well I know now that from a 65mph roll I am faster than a new 330Ci... Ran him up to about 135 and let off... first time Ive had it up that far. I RARELY street race but I just wanted to see how it reacted and it was a desolate road as well. Im not about to risk my new baby in traffic or idiotic maneuvers.

Yeah Im expecting it to have issues.... i$$ue$ of course. Im going to put some new tranny fluid in it tomorrow along with the new rear diff and driveshaft as well as fuel filter. Im aware of the transmission, wheel bearing, and rotor warping issues so Im on the lookout for them. Fortunately I found this site and read up on it before I even bought the car. If youre up for that tune up this weekend let me know... Im more than willing to make the drive if you like.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
IBTL

Be careful. Street racing is not tolerated on this site. All racing must take place in controlled conditions. (track or autocross)
Old 11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

My road is as controlled as I can get it. Im the only house on a 1 mile road and I had a firetruck blocking the open end.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
If youre up for that tune up this weekend let me know... Im more than willing to make the drive if you like.
This weekend may not be the best b/c of the Thanksgiving holiday and the fact that I'll be away on Friday afternoon/evening for the drag meet at Capitol raceway.

If you want to see what your stock SVX will do in the 1/4 mile you should come!

-Chike

Old 11-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

Oh its not stock :-D Just a CAI, spacers, and a Bassani exhaust with high flow cats..... not exactly stock.... and I love it that way
Old 11-22-2005, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Oh its not stock :-D Just a CAI, spacers, and a Bassani exhaust with high flow cats..... not exactly stock.... and I love it that way
Can you make the meet?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...847#post355847

-Chike

Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

I just came from there.. I work 30 minutes from there and just came home to Richmond for the week UGH!! lol I'll try bro!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I just came from there.. I work 30 minutes from there and just came home to Richmond for the week UGH!! lol I'll try bro!
No prob. Hope to see you there.

Speaking of your Bassani exhaust, that brings back memories of my last vehicle - a s/c '00 SVT Lightning.

-Chike

Old 11-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

Oh its a heck of a symphony thats for sure... I cant stay out of that car.... And Ive owned lots of cars lol... and by far this is my favorite. PS Sharp truck