How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-23-2005, 07:36 AM
red95svx

VIN misprint...or was it??

Here's something for you conspiracy theorists. I ran into this a while ago and forgot about it until just recently.

About twice a year Subaru sends every dealership a Price Book. As the name implies it contains part numbers and prices for every part Subaru makes, and even some that have been discontinued (just for reference I guess?). Along with that info Subaru throws in a lot of other useful stuff: accessory lists, wiper blade charts, tune up parts lists, battery chart..etc. They also put in a VIN decoder for various years.

The Price Book for July 2003 contained a rather strange entry for the 2004 Impreza VIN decoder. In the section titled "Engine Type", it listed 3 options: a 2.0 liter with turbo, a 2.5 liter, and a 3.0 liter with turbo. Obvioulsy this turned out to be incorrect. The 3.0 has yet to be turbo charged and no Impreza (U.S. edition anyway) has been fittted with a 6 banger. So, whas it simply a typo? If so, that's a pretty bad typo... a 6 cylinder engine that doesn't exist with a car that doesn't even have a 6 cylinder option to begin with. OR...did Subaru have a plan to include a turbo 6 in the 04 Impreza line up and then scrap the plans after the book had been printed???

Take a look.......

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VIN.JPG (116.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 06-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
hehehe

Or maybe wishful thinking on behalf of the technical writer, that wasn't caught by the proofreaders (Turbo was spelled correctly )

Back, when I worked for the newspaper we would occasionally add things to "test" the copy editors... Sometimes they caught it.... Sometimes we remembered to check to see if they caught it ... I remember one time the story mentioned a kid on one of the teams with a last name of "Fluck"....
Old 06-23-2005, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I'm guessing it was suppose to be 2.5 with turbo, since they left that one out.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 PM
red95svx

Yes, the 2.5 turbo option is missing. Maybe the STi was supposed to be a 3.0 turbo!

Dave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: