Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 05-04-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
I maybe even shorter on time, plus now that my jig car has no motor in it, it makes it really hard to use it as a jig. Sorry guys, I know there are alot of people that need a good X-member but I just couldn't get the peices to build them and now the motor thing. About all I can do right now is make the peices and send them to you to have a welder put them together
Iam very fine that, it will give me a excuse to bust out my mig.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:44 AM

that is a very nice job, look to me like oem. too bad you are not selling them other wise i will be on the list..... good job to all the svx developers. i wonder what the original designers think about all this upgrades that are been done to the svx???
Old 05-04-2005, 05:02 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
Iam very fine that, it will give me a excuse to bust out my mig.
Call up Dave Clark Motorsports in Kent. 425 221-2470. He builds rollcages for track cars and rally cars. He did a great job on my x-member. Pics in my locker under the custom exhaust folder.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Maveric Mech./Fabricator

Can I copycat....:)

Hey all....I see through this paticular thread that there are several of you needing / wanting this Very nice looking Bracket that SVXHunter and SubaFreak Built.....

I Am currently doing a 5 speed Swap into an SVX for a Customer, And Huck Told me about this Site, and Specifically this thread for bracket Idea's.....I love the Bracket....I built One already for this project.....

I do Custom Subaru Conversions For a Living, And I am willing and Able to add this Bracket to my one of many items I do....

My thought on this Bracket is to do it as Low cost As I can , and To pass that on to anyone who is doing the conversion to their SVX.....

I can Build the Bends and The channel piece drilled For about $30.00 - $40.00 + shipping.....

Doing it this way , The buyer will need to trim down and Weld the pieces into their factory SVX hardware......Any Good Welder Should be able to do this In 1 hr or so.....Someone at home doing it the first time can do it in 1-3 hrs.....But you'll end up with this Nice Looking Factory Looking Part.....

If someone didn't have the Means to weld this up, And wanted to ship me the factory Mounts, I can jig up to do the welding here as well.....and ship back a Complete unit......

Let me know What you all think.....I don't want To Step on anyones toes.....

Talk soon, John

P.S. plug for self, This is My site.....
www.oregonoffroadsubaruclub.org
Old 05-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrat79
If someone didn't have the Means to weld this up, And wanted to ship me the factory Mounts, I can jig up to do the welding here as well.....and ship back a Complete unit......

P.S. plug for self, This is My site.....
www.oregonoffroadsubaruclub.org
I think with the number of part outs we are seeing we should be able to bank a few stock mounts and you would be able to do some business with ready to install brackets. From what I have seen only a few people here are really good with welding and those guys would just make their own brackets anyway.

I don't think you're stepping on anyone's toes. We are all just here to improve the svx experience
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Superbeast

Exactly, You seem to have more time for this custom fabbing thing than anyone else, in fact it seams to be what you do. I just don't have the time, and now I don't really have the means But I say go for it I'm still avalible for full out swaps thoe.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Mudrat79 told me he would make the parts for a crossmember like SVXHunters crossmember for $30, but you would have to have them welded to your parts yourself.

His proile is here:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/member.php?userid=3578

He is well know over on the USMB, and is a stand up Suby guy, that has a custom metal fab shop and makes several different things, mostly for the old school subarus.

I recommend getting these parts from him for anyone doing a 5-speed swap, (or those who have a converted SVX with a poor crossmember set-up)

He's got Huck's approval

88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Maveric Mech./Fabricator

Thanks Guys....

Thanks Huck.....And SubaFreak....

I guess I'll post over in the wanted/Sale Section to see what I can Get for donor parts.....

Also , I'll see what I can do to Make a Full Swap Kit similar but better than the Small car Kit.....I am not impressed with it Myself......

I'll Keep you posted.....Lol...no post pun intended......

John
Old 05-11-2005, 04:08 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Mudrat79:

Small car kit: worthless.

Consider pedal assemblies also. As you get into the 5-spd swap, you'll find the pedal assembly needs a little masssaging. Huck used a cable driven clutch, I only know about the hydraulic one (he's a lot smarter than me!). The final product on the pedal assembly ends up being a merge between an SVX assembly and the manual one. There is VERY LITTLE margin for error. Mine came out beautifully, but I could have improved the throttle cable routing slightly.

BTW- I would recommend jig assembling your crossmembers, and selling them finished with a core swap. The only way to weld these together is on a jig, or on the car. The tolerances are very close. If the bends are rotated slightly, they will run into the exhaust. IF the channel is off slightly, it won't mate up to the tranny. When finished, there are 14 connection points to the car that all have to line up, and at least 6 close tolerance areas. Very few welding shops have lifts, and therefore can not weld the pieces on the car easily. If you're a buyer, I would STRONGLY recommend that you buy them assembled, even if they seem expensive.

Good luck, Mudrat79. I pm'ed you about a project I'm working on.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 05-11-2005, 05:28 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrat79
Thanks Huck.....And SubaFreak....

I guess I'll post over in the wanted/Sale Section to see what I can Get for donor parts.....

Also , I'll see what I can do to Make a Full Swap Kit similar but better than the Small car Kit.....I am not impressed with it Myself......

I'll Keep you posted.....Lol...no post pun intended......

John

opps....I didn't back up and read all the post, or I'd have seen you had already posted on here.... ...but either way, you have my endorsement
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"