Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
Hi,

If you dont mind and if you can make some time, can you tell me how to do this stuff. I am little bit inclined to do this if I can do it in some reasonable time.

thanks,
-Pavan.
Beav explains how to remove the intake in this thread

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...intake+removal

Once removed use a good spray cleaner - I recommend valvoline synthetic cleaner based on a pepsi challenge I conducted. It cleaned way better than the other stuff.

You'll want to have new intake gaskets ready. I have been able to reuse mine sometimes, and other times they come apart.

Also be prepared the first time you do this with some bulk vacuum hose. I think they are 1/8" - you can find this at most auto stores.
You will find many of the vacuum hoses underneath the intake will be brittle and cracked. For this reason alone I recommend removing the intake just to change these hoses - I bet alot of svxers are losing vacuum and don't even know it. Be very careful with the plastic fittings underneath the intake, they are fragile.

This would also be a great time to change out the PCV valve since it is on the underside of the intake.

After the intake is cleaned and put back in place be sure to change the oil fairly soon. The spray that leaks down past the rings needs to be cleaned out asap.

Please note that removing and reinstalling the intake is a major pain in the neck the first time you do it. ?Not for the mechanically challenged. I can do it pretty easily now but I remember that first time it took me a very long time and alot of work.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 04-08-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Beav explains how to remove the intake in this thread

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...intake+removal

Once removed use a good spray cleaner - I recommend valvoline synthetic cleaner based on a pepsi challenge I conducted. It cleaned way better than the other stuff.

You'll want to have new intake gaskets ready. I have been able to reuse mine sometimes, and other times they come apart.

Also be prepared the first time you do this with some bulk vacuum hose. I think they are 1/8" - you can find this at most auto stores.
You will find many of the vacuum hoses underneath the intake will be brittle and cracked. For this reason alone I recommend removing the intake just to change these hoses - I bet alot of svxers are losing vacuum and don't even know it. Be very careful with the plastic fittings underneath the intake, they are fragile.

This would also be a great time to change out the PCV valve since it is on the underside of the intake.

After the intake is cleaned and put back in place be sure to change the oil fairly soon. The spray that leaks down past the rings needs to be cleaned out asap.

Please note that removing and reinstalling the intake is a major pain in the neck the first time you do it. ?Not for the mechanically challenged. I can do it pretty easily now but I remember that first time it took me a very long time and alot of work.
Hi,

May I know how much it would cost for me to do this stuff (approx.)

And can u tell me if you can, whether doin this may overcome some of the problems that i am sensing on my car (in post #13) to atleast some extent.

thanks,
-Pavan.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Check subaruparts.com for prices - not sure what they are but it should be under $50

It may or may not help the problems you describe - it all depends on what kind of shape your engine is in now.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Something i've heard from MANY people that is quite effective at cleaning fuel system, cylinder walls, and intakes is that "sea foam" stuff. basically you can either put it in your gas tank, put it in your oil, or put it in through a vacuum line in your intake. all three ways have proven to be effective for people. they say wait till night time before you do it through the vacuum line because it blows out a massive amount of thick black smoke from all the build up.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker