Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 01-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Weasel 22

Question losing the stereo cover

Well im upgrading to an Alpine 9833 and Infinity refs all around..is it just the norm to lose the use of the cover door? is there a way not to?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Shawn, Maybe my 02 WRX 6 Disc changer dosen't "qualify" as different, but I had to grind some holes in the inside "liner" of the cover to clear the knobs the OEM didn't have. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...joRocket|20016

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally posted by RojoRocket
Shawn, Maybe my 02 WRX 6 Disc changer dosen't "qualify" as different, but I had to grind some holes in the inside "liner" of the cover to clear the knobs the OEM didn't have. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...joRocket|20016

Glenn
appreciated....my case is interesting due to my oem receiver being installed on the lower half of the cage instead of the top ..signifying that an aftermarket system had been present before I bought it..the door works despite the receiver being in that location..so..hopefully I can get the Alpine in there with the same result
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 PM

I don't have the new model Alpine (couple of year old CDA-7995 - same shape & size as the 9833), but it fits on the top slot and pocket below with no need to mod the door. If you're set on using it in the bottom, then I believe the only way is to mod the door (or not use it at all).
Old 01-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I don't have the new model Alpine (couple of year old CDA-7995 - same shape & size as the 9833), but it fits on the top slot and pocket below with no need to mod the door. If you're set on using it in the bottom, then I believe the only way is to mod the door (or not use it at all).
Then the door shall continue to work! I will it! a buddy is helping me do the install and has done 2 other SVX's prior and mentioned the door not working thing..I'll let him know that the door 'will' continue to work...oh yes it will
Old 01-16-2005, 05:36 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I've tried a couple of different setups in my car, every aftermarket reciever I tried will interfere with the door if you place it in the bottom space. The pocket I have with the flip-up door will interfere if on the bottom as well. To get around this, I flipped the pocket upside down. Both headunits I've had installed fit without interfering with this setup (headunit on top, pocket flipped on the bottom). The headunit I just put in my car is a Clarion with a volume knob rather than buttons like I had on the Pioneer. I was worried the knob would hit the cover, but it fits just fine.

If worse came to worse, you could drill new holes in the cage to allow you to push the headunit back farther, but then you might run into clearance issues with the wires in the back.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-16-2005, 06:20 PM

I put the same Alpine in mine last year.
True, the door won't function properly with the buttom of the casing, only the top.
After a little frustration trying to get the door back in, everything worked out fine.

Now to figure out how to put in a retractable dvd screen and still be able to keep the door.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally posted by kewilo
I put the same Alpine in mine last year.
True, the door won't function properly with the buttom of the casing, only the top.
After a little frustration trying to get the door back in, everything worked out fine.

Now to figure out how to put in a retractable dvd screen and still be able to keep the door.
choices choices
Old 01-16-2005, 08:21 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
I've got a CDA-9805 in mine. The cover can close, but it pushes in the volume knob. It's got a detachable face so if I want to close the cover, I just take the face off.

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 01-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
CDA-7973 here with no modifications to the cover.