Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-17-2004, 05:13 PM
snik

4.44 on hold for now.. I have a code 11

hello everyone,

you may recall I bought a 92 a week ago, and I was told tranny was broken.

drove the car today and it drives very nice... shifts smooth, but it doesnt go to 3rd.

pulled the codes, and it has a code 11, solenoid A

dealer is closed now... if any of you have ever changed this solenoid, do u mind telling me:

a) how much is this solenoid?

b) how do i access it? (will I need to remove the tranny, or when I remove the pan, I should see it)

any other input?

thx
Old 11-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

check the resistor behind the battery... should be at something like 12 ohms if remebering correctlycheaper and easier for the 1st shot.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 11-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The resistor behind the battery was probably just unplugged to try to make the tranny last longer.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:15 PM
snik

found a ceramic resistor wrapped in a metal jacket, but it wasnt behind the battery... it was more like beside it, attached to the inside of the quarter panel. It was plugged in,... took off the plug but it didnt make a difference

right now the car shifts well from 1-2, but there is no 3, and no 4th

tranny colour is nice and wine colour... with no debris/particles...

no other codes other than code 11 (duty solenoid A)

any ideas what may have caused my 3rd and 4th gears not to engage?

if i put it in D, it moves off the light quick, shifts to 2nd very smooth and when the time comes for it to shift to 3, it misses it and it feels like it has gone to neutral... no matter how much i revv, it does not engage.. (not that it slips... it just doesnt engage at all)... i will have to pull it to D2 to resume tranny engagement.. D3 yields same reult. Playing with manual button does not help.

if i drive in D2, it drives fine... although it revvs high (3000 rpm) for city driving

so what can i do... is there something inside of my existing tranny i can replace.. or should i just do the 4.44?

i feel like its some little resistor, solenoid, or something minor... because there is no slippage.... it just feels like its in neutral instead of 3rd... if i can fix this electrical glitch, I will install an oil cooler and tranny oil filter, instead of that whole 4.44 swap

awaiting your reply my svx experts

thanks

Last edited by snik; 11-18-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Measure the ohms on that resistor. It should be around 12ohms +/- 5
Old 11-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Follow David's advice...just because it's plugged in doesn't mean it hasn't gone bad on you.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-19-2004, 06:19 PM
snik

checked it.. it has no resistance (open circuit)

did a band adjustment at the dealer today... no change... 1st, 2nd ok, when it shifts to 3, it goes to neutral (does not engage in 3rd .. so there is no slippage,, it feels like its shifting out of 2nd and then goes to neutral)

took off the pan... there was some metal pieces in it... looks like a thin 4" dia metal ring that was disintegrated... found 2 pieces of it... so i guess my tranny has gone south.. dont know what those metal pieces were.

will i need to get a new resistor after i put the 4.44? none of the dealerships have them in stock... would a 12 ohm resistor from radio shack be ok?

now assuming any 12 ohm resistor works,.. is it worthwhile getting a resistor, hooking it up to see if it shifts ok or not? meaning, will that resistor cause the no 3rd/4th gear issue I am experiencing now?
Old 11-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Meow!

Several people have extra resistors from 5 spd swaps/parts cars. I'm one of them. Make us an offer and I'm sure someone will bite.

You will need this resistor for proper transmission functionality.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:44 PM
snik

sent you an IM.

according to my previous searches, many people unplug that resistor though... in order to get higher line pressure and more pronounced shifting. Also found some posts about hard shifting reducing heat build up in the tranny
Old 11-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by snik
checked it.. it has no resistance (open circuit)

did a band adjustment at the dealer today... no change... 1st, 2nd ok, when it shifts to 3, it goes to neutral (does not engage in 3rd .. so there is no slippage,, it feels like its shifting out of 2nd and then goes to neutral)

took off the pan... there was some metal pieces in it... looks like a thin 4" dia metal ring that was disintegrated... found 2 pieces of it... so i guess my tranny has gone south.. dont know what those metal pieces were.

will i need to get a new resistor after i put the 4.44? none of the dealerships have them in stock... would a 12 ohm resistor from radio shack be ok?

now assuming any 12 ohm resistor works,.. is it worthwhile getting a resistor, hooking it up to see if it shifts ok or not? meaning, will that resistor cause the no 3rd/4th gear issue I am experiencing now?
Gee I hate saying this all the time, But. The high clutch has gone, the "4" dia metal ring" pieces that you found are part of the high clutch plates.

The high clutch is needed for 3rd and 4th. The box needs replacing. The resistor won't cause the trouble.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Meow!

I replied to your PM.

Your tranny is probably dead as previously mentioned. Unfortunately this is probably the same fate as my old 4EAT suffered so I can't offer you mine as a replacement.