How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-04-2004, 05:51 AM
A-Train

Thumbs up Good tech

Just had trans. done at Dan Wolf Subaru, Countryside, IL very happy w/service. After my horrible experiences with other shops trying to repair my Mean Machine I will never send her to no one but the best Doctors no more tier 2 shops. As for my fellow Svxer from the Windy City talk to John in service he'll direct in the right direction. (708)497-3999
Old 08-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Beldin

Re: Good tech

Quote:
Originally posted by A-Train
Just had trans. done at Dan Wolf Subaru, Countryside, IL very happy w/service. After my horrible experiences with other shops trying to repair my Mean Machine I will never send her to no one but the best Doctors no more tier 2 shops. As for my fellow Svxer from the Windy City talk to John in service he'll direct in the right direction. (708)497-3999
Have you gotten an external tranny cooler yet? If you haven't it would be a good idea to get one. Or better yet just go for the 5 spd conversion.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
What was the cost to do your tranny?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:00 AM
A-Train

Trans Cooler

That's in the next set of minor repairs or changes, my SVX is in decent shape now that I got smart and just let the dealership do the repairs, I just need to be patient. I need a couple of months for trans. cooler, was not in budget plus my wife thinks I lost my mind pumping cash into my SVX oh well. Next is to have small dent over pass. r/wheel repaired and new leather for driver seat then I'm done like new can't wait. from there I will add some mods.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Personally, I'd install a cooler before fixing the dent. This isn't so much a 'mod' as it is 'necessary.' The reason the transmissions fail in the first place is that Subaru didn't provide sufficient cooling.

You don't want to cook your new tranny, do you?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-04-2004, 10:42 AM
A-Train

Trans Cost

I paid $3507.00 : Replaced trans, install reman trans assembly, replaced rear trans mounts, fluids, towing, plus service loaner also 2yr/24,000 warranty.

Last edited by A-Train; 08-04-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:03 AM
A-Train

Trans. cooler

The dent and the leather is the last thing I'm going to do, the next things will be minor repairs and changes which will include a tranny savior.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:25 PM
simonton

how long did the job take?
i'm having a lot of problems with the mechanic im using now. He's been dickin' around trying to get parts for 7 weeks now - I had to find them for him.. - and this is the second time in less than a year that I've had to send the car back to him because his first repair wasnt good enough...
I dont know what he's doin with my car but im really sick of waiting around without hearing anything from him.

im in Chicago, too; so this is good news for me... How far is this guy from the Elgin/Carpentersville area...
Old 08-04-2004, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by simonton
i'm having a lot of problems with the mechanic im using now. He's been dickin' around trying to get parts for 7 weeks now...
You definitely do need to find a new shop. Taking seven weeks to land parts is a tacit admission that the guy really doesn't want your business.

dcb
Old 08-04-2004, 07:04 PM
A-Train

New Shop

Sorry to hear about that stress, It's just that the guy is too proud and greedy to just say I don't know what the hell I'm doing. He should be locating your parts. Dan Wolf Subaru is about 28 miles south east of you, you can take 90E to 290S and get off at Joliet RD East take that to La Grange RD and turn left your there, speak w/John service manager. I't took a couple of weeks I had other work done also. As I said before, I went through the same thing for about 1yr in an out until my patience ran out stay strong and get your car back, read the terms of your warranty if you have one from this donkey man, get your money refunded. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:47 PM
simonton

thanks for your help.
im definately goin to this Subaru dealer. I'm just going to have to have the whole transmission replaced, which really kinda sucks. Especially since I'll have to pay a lot more. But at least I'll know the job is getting done right.
When your transmission was replaced do you know if they installed the new cooler for it?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:55 PM
simonton

never mind i just re-read some of the earlier posts...
this other mechanic installed a cooler, I just dont know if when they replace the whole trans if they'll have to take it out or not
Old 08-06-2004, 07:05 AM

There's no need to replace the cooler with a new transmission, but I'd definitely see that the lines and cooler are thoroughly flushed or blown-out to ensure that they're clear of debris, and I'd also change the external filter, if present.

dcb
Old 08-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Re: Trans Cost

Quote:
Originally posted by A-Train
I paid $3507.00 : Replaced trans, install reman trans assembly, replaced rear trans mounts, fluids, towing, plus service loaner also 2yr/24,000 warranty.
Holy crap

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:31 PM
simonton

wow so i got my car back from this countryside guy and i just have to disagree with him being a "good tech." No offense to you A-Train but i thought the guy was a real dooshbag.

I sent the car to him with the trans out, the passenger seat and abs computer out, and he went to work on it... I got a message saying the car was ready on friday. I didnt get to talk to him directly but set up a meeting to pick up the car monday. Then i realized saturday what a true pain in the ass it would be to go down 50 miles to countryside in rush hour traffic after school monday. So i call saturday and ask if i could go leave the credit card info and work out exact prices later. Whoever i talked to ( John wasnt there ) said that would be fine. So i drive all the way down there, the cashier calls john and says im screwed and have to go home without the car. I then talked directly to john about it, i asked him why and he told me some crap about procedures and exact amounts... I was willing to just leave a huge sum of money for him there to work out exact amounts and refund the difference when he came in monday.. but he wouldnt have it. He didnt want to break procedure.

Now, somebody at the dealer told me i could go and leave an inexact amount and get the car. So i drive 50 miles down. He then tells me i cant. So he's asking me to just go home and come back again. That's 50 down twice and 50 back twice. 100 miles i was okay with - but 200?, - and on monday it would have been through rush hour traffic. Not to mention id have to get someone to drive me to and from school 20 miles to and 20 miles back, two times.

so once i was there he had 3 options:
- have me find someone to drive me 280 miles around in traffic

- come in himself to accept responsiblity for the sales' team's mistake in telling me to come down

- or just **** procedure and let me do what the sales' guys said i could do and work out exact prices later in the week

so he decides to throw a *****-fit and come down on his day off all pissed of and do the paper work. BUT lets not forget that he's getting FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS for this ****. SO IM REAL SORRY that he had to go 15 minutes out of his way because someone at his dealer made a mistake and told me the wrong thing.

THEN
I get the car back and notice that the passenger seat is back in, he comes up to me and makes it sound like he did it as a favor. I then notice my abs computer still sitting in the backseat. That of course needs to go under the passenger seat... I ask him about it and he tells me its an extra computer the other mechanic left in the car. So i drive 50 miles back home with the abs light on in the dash, get home take out the seat, see no abs computer, just an empty harness... I put it all back in place and then see that he had charged me an extra 60 dollars just to put the seat in. We're talkin about 5 bolts here; 5 bolts that i had to undo and redo anyway because he didnt put the damn computer in!

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE
On top of all this bull****, the trans is already having problems ! God only knows where im going to go now

Last edited by simonton; 08-23-2004 at 07:38 PM.