How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Peach

Question A/C Evac does it matter?

I really think in the near future I will pull my engine to change the flex plate, "what a pain in the ass" and need to discharge the air conditioner system. Does it really matter if a guy just dumps it because it's r134 or is it necessary to go somewhere and have someone else evacuate it. Is it enviromentally irresponsible to just open it and let it fly or what? Any input on this really appreciated. If this was any other car I would get rid of it, but this SVX put some kind of spell on me so I will keep the nickles and dimes coming that it takes to keep the beast alive.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Phil & Belha

I think the amount of pollution you are going to cause is tiny and insignificant in the big scale of things. I'm sure that most of the mechanics in the world would just open it up and let it go. (Though some might still charge you for evacuating and disposing )

In some countries, they don't even put a pan under the car when they drain the oil.

It's good to be concerned about the environment, but it sounds like you have bigger problems to worry about.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:15 AM

flexplate

Not 100% sure but I don't think you need to pull the engine to change flex plate. Maybe just drop the trans.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Dropping the tranny is easier plus there's lots of room in there once the tranny is out.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Peach

If dropping the tranny is easier then that's the way i'll go, altho at this point none of it sounds easy. I noticed in the Chilton's they say " don't put the tranny jack under the pan as damage could result," Geez, where else would the jack go! The SVX is becoming like an old Harley, if you own one you better know how to work on it... I prefer driving it. Anyway thanks for the advice.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Auto tranny removal isn't that hard just make sure you have people to help and a good jack, b/c i did by myself with just a pallet on the jack and managed to remove it fairly quickly. I will say though the manual is like a toy to take on and off compared to that beast..
Old 08-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Peach

The more testimony I hear the braver i'm getting!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I used an ATV / motorcycle jack, which I bought at Sam's, to support the tranny. It lays very flat and offers a very wide platform to support the tranny.

It cost me about $80, but was well worth that price.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-18-2004, 08:22 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
R12 needs to be drained and contained. nasty stuff.

BUT... R134 is harmless. Next time you're using a can of compressed air to clean off your keyboard or dust something detailed, take a look at the ingredients .

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k