Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-08-2004, 05:15 PM

That sounds like a good solution also,one of my buddies said my low pressure switch my be bad,how does that sound.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:35 PM

I got under the dash and adjusted the temp to hot and back to cold and that door is working I even moved it back and forth manually so thats it for me I'm just going to take it to the shop tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:36 PM

After leaving the shop they said it would cost me nine hundred to fix my a/c.They said I need a new compressor,new dyer,and a new expansion valve well that sounds like bs to me.I'm starting with the expansion valve first.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If you're still running the original compressor, it could very well be bad. Check out EBay for remanufactured units (do a search in EBay Motors under SVX) - they're not that expensive.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-09-2004, 03:06 PM

On Ebay the compressor is running around $200, a drier is around $30, the expansion valve should be around $50 or maybe less. For DIY you need a way to pull a vacuum (needed any time system is exposed to the air). However, add a system flush, some freon, labor and the retail parts mark-up - $900 might not be far off the mark to the whole deal.

Changing parts is your choice, but I would urge one more time to find out the pressure readings on the high and low side at a fast idle. That will tell you a world of info about the compressor, etc. There's a good table of diagnostic info available, but you need the readings (and know the ambient temp, etc) to interpret what's what.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:01 PM

The shop also did a pressure test,it was 70 psi on both hi and low sides,thats why they said I should buy a new compressor.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:17 PM

if the compressor clutch was engaging then that set of readings means the compressor is dead. the expansion valve is frequently changed out during a compressor switch as I don't think you can flush an A/C system with the valve in place (might be wrong there). the new drier is recommended whenever the system is exposed to air - don't want water vapor inside so it freezes up a passage with an ice blockage. If you can find the means to vacuum down the system after installing the components I would go for a DIY (if comfortable with the idea). I did, and had a certified tech pull the vacuum then add the freon - saved mucho bucks...of course YMMV.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:04 PM

I'm getting one off ebay for 200 and I ordered a new dryer,thanks for the great advice.