How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-22-2003, 02:06 AM
The Molinator

Question Uneven Brake Pad Wear?

When I took off the calipers on right front wheel upright I noticed a severe difference in brake pad wear>> THE OUTSIDE PAD WAS SEVERELY WORN [ABOUT 1/8 INCH LEFT] WHILE THE INSIDE PAD WAS HARDLY WORN [MORE THAN 1/4 INCH LEFT]?

Please explain. THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 09-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well I have seen that and I do not know for sure but here is what I think.
1. Pad material was not consistant. Outside pad was softer and wore more easily.
2. The inner brake pad was hung up. Inner brake pad has a very tight fit into the holder and could no move to the rotor.
3. Loose calipher pins let the calipher twist and hangs up the inner pad.

I would also say that your calipher piston is working fine or the brakes would not work at all.

I would also say that the slide pins for the calipher are working fine or the inside pad would have worn.

I have come to the conclussion that brakes need to be disaasembled and checked, friction points lubricated at least once a year.

Why did you check your brakes? Good thing or you might have worn down the rotor.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Green1995SVX

Your caliper is probably not sliding properly. Check the boots on the caliper and make sure they are not torn.

Mike
Old 09-22-2003, 10:19 AM
The Molinator

Question WHY?

I was changing rotors, R&R front bearings, when I saw the torn outer boot on front left axle and uneven pad wear. I aborted the project until I get axle replacement (reman as per Beav) part.

I will check the caliper booties and look for lubricant inside - That could be it!

THANKS Guys!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 09-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Caliper slides seized, lube with high melting point grease.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

So the piston works, pulls the calipher over, the calipher gets stuck and can't release the outside pad. Hello high temperature antiseize.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:25 PM

Registered SVX
N.B. First post here item one.

If you did not fit the pads which you are examining you can not be positive regarding any diagnosis. If fitted by a previous owner they may not have been a proper pair, or could be used pads from a wreck. You must consider such a possibility if you find nothing obvious wrong.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:27 AM
The Molinator

Exclamation PADS - uneven wear>>>

I put the pads on about 1 1/2 years ago when I changed the rotors (brake pedal was pumping - turned out to be rear rotors). They are OEM (dealer, before I knew better) front and rear.

Must be stuck caliper pins!

THANKS!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:00 AM

Registered SVX
Hi Jim,

Having appreciated the Ò thanks Ò recorded in your last post I went back in the thread and was not surprised to find several thanks and a please for good measure.

Therefore I thank you and assure you that your courtesies are much appreciated by one and all I am sure.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
A stuck caliper guide pin caused one of my rear brake pads to wear out. The other 3 were all fine. The dragging pad would heat up the rim considerably after driving for a bit.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:24 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Pad Wear

Have seen this sort of pad wear before and as mentioned, is usually caused by sticking caliper slide pins,
On some of the cheaper quality cars I've owned (a Mitsubishi in particular) the sticking would also lead to twisting of the caliper unit resulting in severe diagonal wear on the pads
I've only just read this post as I was getting a grinding noise from the front disk, and on inspection found that the inside pad was completely worn but the outside pad still had more than half thickness left.
What I'm suggesting is that if you've worn the outer pad, then the caliper is sliding as it should, but the inner pad may not have been installed correctly and is jamming in the frame so the pistons are pulling the slide caliper across and wearing the outer pad.
Looks like I've gotta look for some new rotors
Arthur
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!