SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-18-2003, 09:03 AM
I look like Gordon

Re: Re: NEW STRUTS - Which Kind?

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Your only options are OEM or Koni. There is no KYB option. Fortunately, the OEM or Koni options appear to be about all that's needed. The Koni option consists simply of a strut damper that must be put in place of the stock damper on an OEM strut body. It requires cutting, welding, fitting. You can do it yourself, or pretty soon, you will be able to buy an already converted OEM/Koni strut from Porter. Either way, be ready for sticker shock. The Koni option is a minimum of about 2x more expensive than OEM, and that's if you do all the conversion work yourself.
Just to clarify, there is no welding involved in the installation of the strut insert. And the Koni inserts are about $600ish for the set, OEMs are around $400 if I'm not mistaken.

-Mike
Old 09-18-2003, 10:05 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Re: Re: NEW STRUTS - Which Kind?

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus

Just to clarify, there is no welding involved in the installation of the strut insert. And the Koni inserts are about $600ish for the set, OEMs are around $400 if I'm not mistaken.

-Mike
oops. Sorry about the mis-info. I saw a picture of Porter doing some sort of welding on a strut body and assumed it involved the Koni inserts. If you buy online, OEMs are around $375. I thought that the Koni inserts were around $640. Not quite 2x I guess, but then there are the costs to install the Koni inserts into the stock strut bodies.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:04 PM
The Molinator

Question KONI'S

Tell me more about the Koni's and where to get them, please?
THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:32 PM
sans SVX

Re: KONI'S

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
Tell me more about the Koni's and where to get them, please?
THANKS!
http://www.classicgarage.com/

or

Talk to Porter. He's putting together a ready-made high performance spring/Koni combo. His setup sounds very good to me if you are going to go with Konis.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:48 PM
The Molinator

Question Custom Spring/Koni combo?

Is Porter using the custom spring I heard about on another thread which you arranged to be fabricated for a few network members for $375. a set? I assume their $640. per set price for SVX Koni's does not include the springs ("high performance spring/Koni combo") you mentioned on my thread.

Let me know, Please. I'm ready today to do my front bearings (I hear a familiar noise - hope it's the fronts, did the rears recently), but can't decide whether to do struts and/or springs too ($$$)

THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 09-21-2003, 06:09 PM
sans SVX

Re: Custom Spring/Koni combo?

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
Is Porter using the custom spring I heard about on another thread which you arranged to be fabricated for a few network members for $375. a set? I assume their $640. per set price for SVX Koni's does not include the springs ("high performance spring/Koni combo") you mentioned on my thread.

Let me know, Please. ...

THANKS!
I'm selling just springs which can be used with stock struts or with the Koni strut inserts. If you go with Koni, I'd recommend a higher spring rate than what my springs offer. You'll get even better handling than what you'd get with my springs. Porter has good springs in his soon to be available Koni strut/spring combo.

Visit my locker