How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-11-2003, 05:20 PM
The Molinator

Question ROTORS warped?

DO I HAVE TO GRIND MY CROSS-DRILLED ROTORS? or can I just have them turned like the normal rear rotors?

I've heard conflicting comments! PLEASE ADVISE!

[Since the last time (1 1/2 years ago) the rears were the culprits (I replaced with stock rotors from Autozone then), CAN I CROSS DRILL THE STOCK REAR ROTORS MYSELF? BETTER COOLING - less warping]

THANKS!!!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 09-11-2003, 05:37 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Cross drilling actually causes warping and cracking. If anything, you should have slotted rotors to avoid such issues. Anyway, I'd take them to a shop and have them turned, that should solve your problem.

- Rob
Old 09-12-2003, 05:09 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

If you cross drill your own, round off the corner of the hole at the disk surface. Removal of the sharp edge will help to delay the cracking and you may want to go deeper with the rounding off to allow for wear.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:58 AM
The Molinator

Question TURN or GRIND ??

Beav said "turning works", so I started toward Pep Boys to have all four rotors turned, but they said "no way, we won't do them at all" (something about ruining their lathe!). I put on the extra stock rear (Autozone) rotors I got 1 1/2 years ago [without cross-drilling myself as I had planned (got in a hurry)]. Most all of the pedal "shakes" went away. This happened last time when I assumed it was the fronts and purchased the front cross-drilled rotors from Motorsports.com [when I put them on, the problem remained]. I guess my car (all SVX's?) has a problem warping rear rotors!

IS THIS COMMON? Thanks for your help!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!