How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2003, 10:20 PM
OrthopodSvx

help needed

Today on the way to work I smelled something like burning oil, but attributed it to the lawn mower I was going by... big mistake. About two min. later my temp gauge maxed out and my car ceased to function.
This brings up question #1:
Does the SVX have some sort of automatic engine shut off when a certain engine temp is reached?
Well I got out of the car and popped the hood, no obvious leaks, and all fluids full. After a few minutes I tried to crank the car again, engine turns over but does not fire. So my thoughts are that 1; thermostat or 2; timing belt/water pump. I am pretty sure that it is my timing belt. The past two days I have noticed belt noises and a bearing noise that I traced to the general area of the timing belt. Also my car has 110,000 miles on it and I doubt that the belt has ever been changed.
Question #2:
Is it possible to change the timing belt after fails w/o taking it to a mechanic? I have no doubt that I can do it on an intact belt, but if the belt is fragged is it possible to replace it without any marked reference points.
Final question:
Assuming I can perform this repair what parts do I need to order like gaskets, belts, etc? A complete list would be sooooo helpful.
Thank you all in advance, I’m going to go start removing my radiator.

Last edited by OrthopodSvx; 09-09-2003 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:27 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well that's one way to find out you need some maintenance. It might be easier to do the T-belt before it breaks the next time but it can be done after it breaks also.

The engine is non-interfering so you do not have to worry about pistons smashing into valves and bending and breaking piston and valves. Good thing, huh or you would be in a big mess right now. Did you know that about the engine? What's why you didn't change the T-belt at 60k miles. Right?

No need to worry about the timing marks. The crank pulley and cam sprockets are very clearly marked. You will just have to rotate them to the proper place.

It is very hard to say what you will need. That will depend on the damage if any done by the belt when it broke. You may need some T-belt covers if damaged and maybe some T-belt rollers. Search around there is lots of info on this and how to do it. Also some recent threads.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Parts Hook-Up

Timing Belt - 13028AA120 - (99.95/79.96)

The first price is list, 2nd is your price.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:52 PM
OrthopodSvx

Thank you for your replies. I think I like this girl!! I know where my belt is coming from.