How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Got Dirt?

Idle Rough and Check Engine light

I have a 92 SVX with 155,000 miles on it. Ever since I purchased it last year, it has had a starting problem. It starts perfectly in the morning and runs great all day. In the afternoon (after a day of work) it almost always has to turn over 10 times before it will fire up and then it runs fine again. No big deal, I could live with that.

Just the other day, the Check Engine light blinked on for one second and went away. Car was still running great. I decided to pull the codes.

I got a 32, 31, and 37 which is the Throttle Sensor and both Oxygen Sensors. I reset the codes and it still displayed the same three codes. Car still ran great. No more CEL.

Yesterday after work it really struggled to start. When it did, it idled very poorly as if it was missing on one cylinder or something. The higher RPMs cleared up, but the idle remained awful.

I shut the car off and restarted it. Started instantly and ran great. Drove home with no problems.

Obviously I intend to replace the sensors. Does it seem like my problems with the starting and idling are all related to the Throttle Sensor? Or might I have some fuel injector issues as well?

Thanks in advance.
1992 SVX LS-L (#645 - 04/91) 164K miles - sold.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well I do not for sure. I do recommend that you replace the O2 and TPS as soon as you can. The ones you got wore out and need to be replaced before something else is damaged. I replaced mine 2yrs ago and no problem with CEL since then. Your starting problem could be fuel pump related, the pump may be worn. Check the fuel pressure? Also the intake manifold bolts may be loose and need to be torqued. I hope you buy good gas.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Got Dirt?

I *always* buy good gas.
1992 SVX LS-L (#645 - 04/91) 164K miles - sold.