SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-05-2003, 10:14 PM
MAD4SVX

Engine mounts?

Hi Guys,

I'm again seeking your expert help!

My engine shakes. I thought it was normal but the guy who did my wheel alignments noticed it too. The main problem is that at stop lights, the whole car shakes along with the engine.

This guy said it was probabley the engine mounts, like rubber things.

I've done a search but can only find threads that diagnose the problem but not how to fix it.

Q: Where are the mounts and how do I fix them?

Any help is appriciated.

Thanks

MAD4SVX
Old 09-05-2003, 10:51 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Engine mounts are pretty easy to find... just find the big rubber bits where the engine attaches to the frame of the car. I can't remember off-hand where they are on the SVX but ISTR they're easy enough to find.

As for the symptoms of your problem... it does sound like a BADLY worn or even broken engine mount.

Fixing it yourself? Well, if you're somewhat mechanically inclined (and a contortionist), then you can probably do it yourself without too much hassle. Then again, that seems to be true in EVERY SVX engine-job

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
The mounts are on the outer sides of the crossmember. There is about a 3 1/2 in. oval slit in each side that the 3in. round rubber mount and plate secure to. If you look inside the crossmember in this area you will see the stud coming down from the engine mount. This is the first nut you should remove. After that there are three bolts that hold the mounts to the engine, they will be painfully obvious to you when looking at this. As far as where you go from there i couldnt tell you, i've been in the middle of a motor swap that won't end for the past 4 months but i hope tomorrow night will be the night..Everything mounted perfectly tonight so tomorrow all we have to do is hook up everything and turn the key...sorry to get off topic just getting really excited about possibly having my car back...
Old 09-06-2003, 03:12 PM
MAD4SVX

Thanks guys,

I thought it might be "easy" but as with everything SVX, I thought it might be difficult for some reason.

I did manage to change the spark plugs, so hopefully these engine mounts will be ok.

Good luck with the engine, I'm a learner and the thought of taking the engine out scares the hell out of me!